1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat and Entropy Change HELPPPP

1. Jan 16, 2009 #1
    Heat and Entropy Change HELPPPP!!

Calculate change in entropy of the universe for:
    1] A can of coke, at initial temperature of 5 degrees C, with heat capacity 2500JK-1, is allowed to reach thermal equilibrium with its surroundings at 40 degrees C

2] Two Cans of coke at 5 degrees C and 40 degrees C are placed in thermal contact with each other inside a cool bag where they are thermally insulated from their surroundings and allowed to equilibrate

3]One of the above coke cans at 40 degrees C weighing 250g is dropped from a height of 50m into a shallow pond of negligible depth which is also at 40 degrees C

Attempt

1] using delta S = Cpln(Tf/Ti)
    giving 2500xln(40/5)
    =5198.6JK-1

ii]
    using Tf=(C1T1+C2T2)/C1C2

[2500x40]+[2500x5]/2500+2500
    =22.5 degrees C

therefore delta S = C1ln(Tf/T1)+C2ln(Tf/T2)

=2500ln(22.5/40)+2500ln(22.5/5)
    =2321.8

so far so gd?

for iii] do i use delta S = P.E / temp of surrounding ?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2009 #2
    Re: Heat and Entropy Change HELPPPP!!

For 1), you need to change the tempratures to kelvin units.

For 3), if I understand the question correctly, you use the connection between energy and heat transfer, Q=U+W, U=mgh, the work that being done by the bodies, W, not sure how to get it.
    Anyway, dQ=SdT+TdS, there isn't a change in the tempratures, and the change is entropy is what you're after, so dQ=TdS, dS=dQ/T, find the change in the heat transfer and I believe your'e done, not sure though.

4. Jan 18, 2009 #3
    Re: Heat and Entropy Change HELPPPP!!

cheers :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?