Heat & Melting Ice: Questions & Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations involved in heating 750 mL of water with a 400 W heater and melting 1 gram of ice. It is suggested to use the formula for conductivity of heat, but it is also mentioned that this may be more of a thermodynamics problem. The concept of heat capacity and latent heat are mentioned as potential resources for solving the problem.
tooperoo

Homework Statement

A)You have a tank containing 750 mL of water and a heater outputting a max of 400 W. If you start with the water at 25 degrees, how long till it reaches boiling point?

B) How much heat must be input to melt 1 gram of ice? What is the volume of meltwater does this produce?

Homework Equations

Conductivity for heat? Q/t = (k x A x delta temp)/ d
Thats all I can think of

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried with the coductivity of heat formula but i don't there is enough information given.

I am so lost, I don't know where to start. Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is more like a thermodynamics problem than a heat conduction problem. How many Joules of heat does it take to heat 750 ml of water from 25 C to 100 C? What is the definition of 1 Watt?

What chestermiller said. If not clear look up "heat capacity" and "Latent Heat" on wikipedia.

1. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

2. How does heat cause ice to melt?

When heat is applied to ice, it increases the kinetic energy of the particles in the ice, causing them to vibrate faster and break the bonds that hold them together in a solid state. This results in the ice melting into liquid water.

3. Why does ice melt faster at room temperature than in the refrigerator?

Room temperature is typically higher than the temperature inside a refrigerator, so there is a greater temperature difference between the ice and its surroundings. This means that heat transfer occurs more quickly, causing the ice to melt faster.

4. Can ice melt without heat?

Yes, ice can melt without heat if it is exposed to a substance with a lower freezing point, such as salt. The salt lowers the freezing point of water, causing the ice to melt at a lower temperature.

5. How does heat affect the molecular structure of ice?

When heat is applied to ice, the molecules gain energy and start to move faster. This movement breaks the bonds between the molecules, causing the solid ice to turn into liquid water. As more heat is applied, the molecules move even faster, eventually turning into water vapor.