Heat & Molar Heat: Proving Gains & Losses

• Thread starter RingNebula57
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the conversation discusses the gained and lost heat in a linear process of an ideal gas. The process is represented in a p-v coordinate system and the points where the heat cancels and the temperature reaches its maximum are found by drawing the adiabat and isotherm that are tangent to the linear function. It is stated that between point 1-i and point i-2, the difference in temperature is greater than 0 and less than 0 respectively. It is also mentioned that between point 1-a and point a-2, the heat is gained and lost respectively. The conversation then delves into the concept of molar heat and its relation to polytropic processes. The speaker shares their confusion regarding the
RingNebula57
Hello everyone. I'm new into thermodynamics and I have a question about the gained and lost heat in any type of process of an ideal gass ( linear, non- linear). In the picture below we have a process suffered by a gas in p-v coordinates. The process is linear ( for simplicity) with P=Po-aV; where a and Po are givee constants. The process goes form 1 to 2. If we want to find the points in which the heat cancels and the temperature reaches its maxima, we have to draw the adiabat and isotherm that are tangent to the linear function. The points where they are tangent corespond to the maximal temperature and heat=0 respectively.
Those points are not that hard to find. Let's call the point in which the adiabat is tangent "a" and the point in which the isotherm intersects "i".
Now, I have been reading from several textbooks that between 1-i the difference in temperature is greater than 0 and from i-2 the diffrence in temperature is less than 0. So far so good. Than it was written that between 1-a the heat is gained and between a-2 the heat is lost . Ok. And than I thought that , if the heat between 1-a is gained and heat= (temperature difference) * (number of moles) * ( molar heat) than it means that (molar heat)>0 between 1-i and <0 between i-a. And between i-2 the molar heat has to be again greater than 0. Now this is the part where I don't understand. How can you actually prove that between 1-i and a-2 the molar heat > 0 and that between i-a molar heat < 0 .
Than I had been thinking about polytropic processes in which it can be proven that for a process of form:

P*V^n=constant, than the molar heat ( cosntant) of the polytrope is C=Cv + R/ (1-n) , where C= molar heat, Cv= molar heat at constant volume, R= ideal gas constant, n= polytrope index.

So let's say that all the points that belong to our linear process are the tangency points of some polytropes ( like the isotherm , adiabat) to the linear function of the process. So to every point on our line coresponds a specific molar heat C = Cv + R/ (1-n) where n in the polytropic index of the polytrope that goes trough that point. Now as we ascend in pressure and we descent in volume ( I'm talking about the points on the linear process) we can imagine that the polytropichyperbolas will be less and less steaper , so we can prove that for n<(adiabatic index) than C<0, and for n>(adiavatic index) than C>0.
Now this doesn't corespond to our solution . From the solution we have that between 1-i C>0 , but I get that C<0.
themo.png

Where is my mistake , this is driving me crazy.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out , no need of explanation here

1. What is heat and how is it measured?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. It is measured in units of Joules (J) or Calories (cal).

2. What is molar heat and how is it different from heat?

Molar heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one mole of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is different from heat because it is specific to a particular substance, while heat is a general term for energy transfer.

3. How is heat gained or lost by a substance?

Heat can be gained or lost by a substance through three possible mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of a fluid, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

4. How can we prove the gain or loss of heat in a chemical reaction?

The gain or loss of heat in a chemical reaction can be proven through the use of a calorimeter. This device measures the change in temperature of a substance before and after a reaction, allowing us to calculate the amount of heat gained or lost.

5. Why is it important to understand heat and molar heat?

Understanding heat and molar heat is important for several reasons. It helps us understand how energy is transferred and transformed in chemical reactions, which is crucial for many industrial and environmental processes. Additionally, it allows us to predict and control the behavior of substances at different temperatures, which is essential for many practical applications.