Heat & Movement: Frame of Reference & Kinetic Energy

In summary, the answer to whether temperature is a measure of the K.E. of the molecules in a frame in which the momentum is zero is no.
rich tea
hello, my first post here, I'm training as a physics teacher and my physics is quite rusty, it's been a good few years since university, i was thinking about heat (of air for example) being the kinetic energy of the particles and then i thought if that was the case wouldn't a mass of air with a certain temperature increase in temperature if it started to 'move' for whatever reason (wind, a fan...) as the total kinetic energy of that air would increase.

Does this have anything to do with the frame of reference you use to calculate the air particles' total Kinetic energy, do you use some kind of internal frame of reference?

Or have i completely confused myself?

this is bugging me, hope someone can help

Science news on Phys.org
rich tea said:
Does this have anything to do with the frame of reference you use to calculate the air particles' total Kinetic energy, do you use some kind of internal frame of reference?
Exactly. You'd use a frame in which the momentum is zero.

Actually it is not all that straight.Yes, the heat energy is due to increase in the K.E of the molecules present in the air. Actually when the wind speed is normal , the molecules are randomly striking the walla of the room , remember the kinetic energy is still present , and when wind/speed increases, the motion becoms more random , the more random and tedious motion , more the probability that the momentum's carried by th emolecules keeo on cancelling on striking the walls and against other equally sized molecules.Therefore we feel comfortable under fan.

rich tea said:
... wouldn't a mass of air with a certain temperature increase in temperature if it started to 'move' for whatever reason (wind, a fan...) as the total kinetic energy of that air would increase.
Just to be clear, the answer to that is no. Temperature is a measure of the average KE of the molecules in a frame in which the momentum is zero. Otherwise, temperature would be frame dependent.

Of course, the macroscopic KE of the air imparted by the fan soon becomes random KE and an increase in temperature, but that's only after the moving air is slowed down by collision with other air molecules in the room and with walls, etc. (We feel comfortable under a fan because the moving air helps evaporate moisture on the skin, thus cooling us off. But having a fan on will increase the temperature of the room.)

thanks doc al, i suspected it could be this something like this, so you could kind of say temperature is measure of the mayhem going on around you when you're sat in the middle of things

1. What is heat and how does it relate to movement?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. The movement of particles within an object increases as its temperature rises, resulting in more heat energy being transferred.

2. What is a frame of reference and why is it important in understanding heat and movement?

A frame of reference is a set of coordinates used to describe the motion or position of an object. In the study of heat and movement, the frame of reference is important because it allows us to accurately measure and compare the movement and kinetic energy of particles in different objects.

3. What is kinetic energy and how is it related to heat?

Kinetic energy is the energy of motion. In the context of heat and movement, it refers to the movement of particles within an object. The more kinetic energy particles have, the higher the temperature and amount of heat in the object.

4. Can heat be transferred from one object to another without movement?

No, heat is always transferred through the movement of particles. In solids, this movement is in the form of vibrations, while in liquids and gases, it is in the form of random motion.

5. How does the concept of heat and movement apply to everyday life?

Heat and movement play a crucial role in our everyday lives, from cooking food to powering machines. Our understanding of heat and movement has led to advancements in technology such as refrigerators, air conditioners, and engines. It also helps us understand weather patterns and the behavior of different materials.