Mechanical Collision: Measuring Sound & Heat

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using mathematical equations to measure the amount of sound or heat produced by a mechanical collision. It is noted that energy is conserved and the challenge lies in determining how much energy goes into heat, sound, and other results. It is also mentioned that one can define a quantity of heat and sound in terms of associated energy, but this may not help distinguish between different types of sounds.
Lukeblackhill
Morning!

My question is this: If we consider a situation of mechanical collision, in the real world we shall observe certain loss of energy into heat or sound. Can we find mathematical equations to measure the amount of sound or heat produced using only mechanical variables, such as mass, speed, etc, considering such sound and heat were produced by an mechanical collision?

Thank you!

Cheers.

Science news on Phys.org
You need some material constants, their shape and so on. In general this is a difficult problem.

Energy is conserved. If the collision is perfectly inelastic, one can know how much kinetic energy has disappeared. That energy has to go someplace. The hard part is determining how much goes into heat, how much into sound and how much into permanent deformation or other results. (i.e. what @Wrichik Basu said)

But in principle, would it be possible to arrange mechanical variables such as mass and speed to define heat, sound, etc?

Lukeblackhill said:
But in principle, would it be possible to arrange mechanical variables such as mass and speed to define heat, sound, etc?
One can define a quantity of heat in terms of the associated energy. 4.2 Joules per calorie if I remember my high school chemistry. Same for sound -- though it it does not take much energy to make a loud sound. And it does not help distinguish between a clank, a crash, a thud, a ding or a gong.

Likes jrmichler and Lukeblackhill
jbriggs444 said:
One can define a quantity of heat in terms of the associated energy. 4.2 Joules per calorie if I remember my high school chemistry. Same for sound -- though it it does not take much energy to make a loud sound. And it does not help distinguish between a clank, a crash, a thud, a ding or a gong.
Thank you @jbriggs444 , that was enlightening.

What is mechanical collision?

Mechanical collision is the process of two or more objects coming into physical contact and transferring energy between them, resulting in changes in sound and heat.

How is sound measured in mechanical collision experiments?

Sound is typically measured using a decibel meter, which measures the intensity or loudness of the sound produced during the collision. Other methods, such as recording and analyzing sound waves, can also be used.

What factors can affect the amount of heat produced in a mechanical collision?

The amount of heat produced in a mechanical collision can be affected by factors such as the material and shape of the objects involved, the speed and force of the collision, and the temperature and humidity of the environment.

What is the relationship between sound and heat in mechanical collisions?

In mechanical collisions, sound and heat are both forms of energy that can be transferred between objects. The production of sound is often accompanied by the release of heat, as energy is converted and dissipated during the collision.

What are some real-world applications of studying mechanical collisions?

Studying mechanical collisions can help us understand and improve various processes and technologies, such as car crashes, ballistics, and industrial machinery. It can also lead to advancements in materials and design to reduce noise and heat production in these applications.