1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat balance and steam

1. Mar 4, 2014 #1
    Hello,

Im new here, sorry for my english, but im in desperate need of help regarding my own experiment which i need to finish. I need to calculate steam kg/kg (flash steam maybe in english?). Basically i have entering steam temperature and pressure and exiting steam temp. and pressure from evaporator? and i need to find ... S/W... kg/kg

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find basically 4 different answers all with different entering steam/water variables.
    1) entering temp 100 Celsius,1atm. exiting 100C 2atm.
    2)entering temp 15C, 1atm. exiting 100C 2 atm.
    3)entering 0,8atm 100C. exiting 100C 2atm.
    4) 15c 0,8 atm. exiting 100C 2atm.

2. Relevant equations
    I have tried according to these calculations but something doesnt add up.
    I take info from a table where i get kJ for water at different pressure but i dont understand how does temperature change the calculations. And i get minus answer for the first variable...is it ok?

3. The attempt at a solution
    example at 1. variable
    I take the formule given above and fill the blanks with steam table here: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/saturated-steam-properties-d_101.html
    then i get minus answer and i think its false, i dont know where to calculate the temperature i have only taken the pressure and kJ-s from the table into account according to that formula. ( 417,5-504,7 / 2201,59 = - 0,0396 kg/kg )
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Maar, and welcome to PF. Your essay is indeed a little difficult to read.
    Let's start with 1). Going from 1 atm = 101.325 kPa to 2 atm is a compression, not so much a flash. Is that really intended ? In a flash you decrease the pressure and then it makes sense to calculate how much vapour you get per kilogram water coming in.
    This repeats in the other three, so I thought I'd better ask.

4. Mar 5, 2014 #3
    Hey,

Probably yeah, you are right and the entering/exiting temp and pressure is in reverse. Will edit in main post.

5. Mar 5, 2014 #4
    Ok, cant change so... please see entering/exiting variables in reverse. I myself also noted that it is a bit unlogical that way.

6. Mar 5, 2014 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, so we flash 1 kg of water at 100 C 2 x 101.33 kPa to 1 kg of water liquid + water vapour at 100 C, 101.33 kPa and want to know the mass of the water vapour.
    Relevant equations: mass conservation and enthalpy conservation (assuming the flash is adiabatic: no energy is added or removed).

mass conservation: ##m_{\rm water \ in} = m_{\rm water\ out} + m_{\rm steam \ out}##

enthalpy balance: ##m_{\rm water\ in} H_{\rm water\ in} = m_{\rm water\ out}H_{\rm water\ out} + m_{\rm steam\ out}H_{\rm\ steam \ out}##

Per kilogram of water in, defining x = ## m_{\rm steam \ out}/ m_{\rm water \ in} ## :

## H_{\rm water\ in} =(1-x) H_{\rm water\ out} + x H_{\rm\ steam \ out} \ \Leftrightarrow##

## H_{\rm water\ in}- H_{\rm water\ out} = x ( H_{\rm\ steam \ out}- H_{\rm water\ out}) \ \Leftrightarrow##

$$x = { H_{\rm water\ in} - H_{\rm water\ out} \over H_{\rm\ steam \ out}- H_{\rm water\ out}}$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted