Calculating Heat Balance & Steam kg/kg for Different Variables

In summary: So according to the formule, the mass of the water vapour is ##\left(1-0.0396 kg/kg \right)## kg. Pretty much spot on.
maarjaaur
Hello,

Im new here, sorry for my english, but I am in desperate need of help regarding my own experiment which i need to finish. I need to calculate steam kg/kg (flash steam maybe in english?). Basically i have entering steam temperature and pressure and exiting steam temp. and pressure from evaporator? and i need to find ... S/W... kg/kg

Homework Statement

I need to find basically 4 different answers all with different entering steam/water variables.
1) entering temp 100 Celsius,1atm. exiting 100C 2atm.
2)entering temp 15C, 1atm. exiting 100C 2 atm.
3)entering 0,8atm 100C. exiting 100C 2atm.
4) 15c 0,8 atm. exiting 100C 2atm.

Homework Equations

I have tried according to these calculations but something doesn't add up.
I take info from a table where i get kJ for water at different pressure but i don't understand how does temperature change the calculations. And i get minus answer for the first variable...is it ok?

The Attempt at a Solution

example at 1. variable
I take the formule given above and fill the blanks with steam table here: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/saturated-steam-properties-d_101.html
then i get minus answer and i think its false, i don't know where to calculate the temperature i have only taken the pressure and kJ-s from the table into account according to that formula. ( 417,5-504,7 / 2201,59 = - 0,0396 kg/kg )

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Maar, and welcome to PF. Your essay is indeed a little difficult to read.
Let's start with 1). Going from 1 atm = 101.325 kPa to 2 atm is a compression, not so much a flash. Is that really intended ? In a flash you decrease the pressure and then it makes sense to calculate how much vapour you get per kilogram water coming in.
This repeats in the other three, so I thought I'd better ask.

Hey,

Probably yeah, you are right and the entering/exiting temp and pressure is in reverse. Will edit in main post.

Ok, can't change so... please see entering/exiting variables in reverse. I myself also noted that it is a bit unlogical that way.

OK, so we flash 1 kg of water at 100 C 2 x 101.33 kPa to 1 kg of water liquid + water vapour at 100 C, 101.33 kPa and want to know the mass of the water vapour.
Relevant equations: mass conservation and enthalpy conservation (assuming the flash is adiabatic: no energy is added or removed).

mass conservation: ##m_{\rm water \ in} = m_{\rm water\ out} + m_{\rm steam \ out}##

enthalpy balance: ##m_{\rm water\ in} H_{\rm water\ in} = m_{\rm water\ out}H_{\rm water\ out} + m_{\rm steam\ out}H_{\rm\ steam \ out}##

Per kilogram of water in, defining x = ## m_{\rm steam \ out}/ m_{\rm water \ in} ## :

## H_{\rm water\ in} =(1-x) H_{\rm water\ out} + x H_{\rm\ steam \ out} \ \Leftrightarrow##

## H_{\rm water\ in}- H_{\rm water\ out} = x ( H_{\rm\ steam \ out}- H_{\rm water\ out}) \ \Leftrightarrow##

$$x = { H_{\rm water\ in} - H_{\rm water\ out} \over H_{\rm\ steam \ out}- H_{\rm water\ out}}$$

1. How do you calculate heat balance?

To calculate heat balance, you need to determine the total energy input to a system and compare it to the total energy output. The equation for heat balance is: Energy input = Energy output. This can be calculated by considering factors such as heat gain or loss, heat transfer, and work done on or by the system.

2. What is the formula for calculating steam kg/kg?

The formula for calculating steam kg/kg is: Steam kg/kg = mass of steam (kg) / mass of water (kg). This formula takes into account the amount of steam produced from a given amount of water, and is used to determine the heat transfer and energy requirements for steam generation.

3. How do different variables affect heat balance and steam kg/kg calculations?

Variables such as temperature, pressure, and flow rate can all affect heat balance and steam kg/kg calculations. For example, increasing the temperature of the system will increase the heat input, while increasing the flow rate of steam will increase the amount of steam produced. It is important to consider all variables when calculating heat balance and steam kg/kg to ensure accurate results.

4. What are the units for heat balance and steam kg/kg calculations?

The units for heat balance and steam kg/kg calculations will depend on the specific system and variables being considered. However, some common units include Joules (J), Watts (W), kilograms (kg), and degrees Celsius (°C). It is important to ensure that all units are consistent in order to get accurate calculations.

5. How are heat balance and steam kg/kg used in practical applications?

Heat balance and steam kg/kg calculations are used in a variety of practical applications, such as in power plants, chemical processes, and industrial boilers. These calculations help engineers and scientists understand the energy requirements and efficiency of systems, and can be used to optimize processes and reduce energy consumption.