1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat capacity and viscosity in real life

1. Jan 7, 2005 #1
    Hello again. My friend is also doing his science fair project and he has trouble thinking of ways that we can apply "relationship of heat capacity and viscosity" to everyday life. His experiment is basically just to examine how much the temperature of fluids with different viscosities are risen in an amount of time. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I guess I don't understand what it is you are looking to do with this.

Viscosity is essentially a measure of a shear force and is greatly dependent on the fluid's temperature. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any place that viscosity references Cp or Cv.

I can't see a reason to correlate the viscosity of a fluid to the rate of temperature rise. That is what the specific heat is for. It stands to reason that a fluid with a high viscosity will have a high Cp and therefore heat up slower than a less viscous fluid.

I guess if you were to do this, you would have to ensure a constant energy source. However, once a fluid starts to increase intemperature, it's viscosity will change. The characteristic of that change and how much it changes is dependent on the fluid itself. Technically, Cp does not remain constant either, but the assumption of a constant Cp is acceptable over a relatively small delta T.

Really, to look at "heat capacity vs. viscosity" all one has to do is look at the viscosity curves of various fluids. Fluids that don't have a large drop off in viscosity over a broad temperature range would be better suited for higher temperature applications.

Post some more ideas regarding what you guys are trying to do. Maybe I misunderstood what you have.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  4. Jan 9, 2005 #3

I just had a glance at your question. Perhaps you can have a look at this link so that you might know which fluids to use for your experiment.

http://xtronics.com/reference/viscosity.htm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?