1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat capacity/energy transfer

1. Oct 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

100 grams of boiling water (temperature 100° C, heat capacity 4.2 J/gram/K) are poured into an aluminum pan whose mass is 375 grams and initial temperature 24° C (the heat capacity of aluminum is 0.9 J/gram/K).
    (a) After a short time, what is the temperature of the water?

(b) Next you place the pan on a hot electric stove. While the stove is heating the pan, you use a beater to stir the water, doing 1400 J of work, and the temperature of the water and pan increases to 74.6° C. How much energy transfer due to a temperature difference was there from the stove into the system consisting of the water plus the pan?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok I got part A with no trouble but I'm struggling with part B. I tried using the mC*delta T equation for the water and the aluminum pan...adding those values and setting it equal to Q+W. I used 8.6 for delta T (74.6-66) since I got 66 degrees for my answer in part A. I then subtracted W to find Q in the second equation but it's not the correct answer. I think what might be throwing me is that the system consists of the water and pan. Any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2007 #2

Gold Member

You didn't say what value of C you used in the second calculation. But C' should be the weighted average of the mass of the water and the aluminium ( British spelling), and M' the sum of the masses.

C' = (C1*M1 + C2*M2)/(M1+M2)
    M' = M1 + M2.

I think this will work, but I could be wrong.
  4. Oct 1, 2007 #3
    I calculated two values of mC*delta T, one for the water (100*4.2*8.6) and one for aluminum (375*0.9*8.6) and added those together and set that equal to Q+1400. I got Q=5115 (same answer as you) and it's incorrect.
  5. Oct 23, 2009 #4
    how did u get a?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?