Heat capacity equation units

In summary, to convert the Heat capacity equation from metric units (J/kgmol/Δ K) to British engineering system units (BTU/lb-mol/ΔF), you can use dimensional analysis and convert the constants accordingly. For example, 1 Joule is equal to 0.000947817 BTU, 1 kg is equal to 2.20462 lb, and 1 degree centigrade is equal to 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit. The conversion can be found easily through a simple online search.
Rizwan Yaseen
How we change the units of Heat capacity equation to British engineering system
Cp=2. 657*10^4 +42. 37T - 1. 425*10^-2T^2

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Rizwan, :welcome:

You don't mention any units in your expression. Can I guess it's for ice at 0 C and expressed in J per kmol per Kelvin ?

I don't think the British units system managed to mess up the kmol too, so all you have to do is convert Joules to British dingdongs, so e.g.
if 1 Joule is 0.000947817 BTU,
and 1 K is 9/5 F (+ some constant) multiply by 0.000947817 and divide by 9/5. That's all.

But if you want to mangle it further, you still have to divide by the molar weight to get ##\approx## 0.5 BTU/lbm/F

PS why do I have to google that for you? You can find such conversions all over the place !

Likes Rizwan Yaseen
BvU said:
Hello Rizwan, :welcome:

You don't mention any units in your expression. Can I guess it's for ice at 0 C and expressed in J per kmol per Kelvin ?

I don't think the British units system managed to mess up the kmol too, so all you have to do is convert Joules to British dingdongs, so e.g.
if 1 Joule is 0.000947817 BTU,
and 1 K is 9/5 F (+ some constant) multiply by 0.000947817 and divide by 9/5. That's all.

But if you want to mangle it further, you still have to divide by the molar weight to get ##\approx## 0.5 BTU/lbm/F

PS why do I have to google that for you? You can find such conversions all over the place !

Yes units are J/kgmol/Δ K and T in °K and convert them to BTU/kgmol/ΔF and expressT In °F (degree F)

I know this might probably be too late, but you can always use dimensional analysis. Then constants would then begin to appear and you can distribute them afterwards.

Likes Rizwan Yaseen
Rizwan Yaseen said:
Yes units are J/kgmol/Δ K and T in °K and convert them to BTU/kgmol/ΔF and expressT In °F (degree F)
Are you sure you don't mean lb-moles?

Oops sorry sir but it's lb moles I write in a hurry but still this conversion confuse Me How I might get this one.

1 Joule = ? BTU

1 kg = ? lb

1 kg-mole = ? lb-moles

1 degree centigrade = ?? degrees F

Fill in the ??s

What is the heat capacity equation?

The heat capacity equation is a mathematical expression that relates the amount of heat needed to change the temperature of a material to its mass, specific heat capacity, and change in temperature. It is written as Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of heat, m is the mass of the material, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What are the units of the heat capacity equation?

The units of the heat capacity equation are Joules (J) for Q, kilograms (kg) for m, Joules per kilogram per degree Celsius (J/kg°C) for c, and degrees Celsius (°C) for ΔT.

How is the heat capacity equation used in science?

The heat capacity equation is used in science to calculate the amount of heat needed to change the temperature of a material, to determine the specific heat capacity of a substance, and to understand how different materials respond to changes in temperature.

What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity, also known as specific heat, is the amount of heat needed to change the temperature of one unit of mass of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is a physical property of a material that is unique to each substance and is measured in Joules per kilogram per degree Celsius (J/kg°C).

How does the heat capacity equation relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The heat capacity equation is based on the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The heat capacity equation shows how energy (heat) is transferred and converted through changes in temperature. It is an essential tool in understanding energy conservation in thermodynamic systems.