1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat capacity from energy

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

I have to show that the heat capacity can be expressed as

Cv = Nk(1+1/45(Om/T)^2 + ...)

where the internal energy is given as

E = NkT*(1-(Om/(3T)-1/45(Om/T)^2)

Normally I would just differentiate but if I do this I get something completely different - how to proceed any hints appreciated thanks in advance

Best regards

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Magnus! :smile:
    erm … NkT*(1 - Om/(3T) - 1/45(Om/T)^2) = Nk(T - Om/3 - 1/45(Om/T)) :redface:
  4. Nov 2, 2008 #3
    yes of course... Thanks for the help. The partition function is also given in the exercise

q_{rot} = \frac{T}{\omega}*(1+\frac{1}{3}(\frac{\omega}{T}+\frac{1}{15}(\frac{\omega}{T})^2+...)

I presume the internal energy is given as

E = -N(dLn Zrot / d beta)

I would really like to know how to get from the partition function to the internal energy.
    The problem for me is how manage the differentiation of the serie. Any help or advise appreciated. Thanks in advance.

5. Nov 2, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

durrr … honestly no idea what that's all about …

i thought this was a straightforward calculus problem! :redface:

i think you'd better start a new thread, so as to get someone else to answer :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?