1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat capacity intuition

1. Jun 8, 2013 #1
    So heat capacity is the change in the mean value of the internal energy when the temperature is changed: C = d<E>/dt
    But I would like a little more intuition than that. T^(-1) = dS/d<E>, so going back to the intuition that the inverse of the temperature is a measure of how disordered the system becomes when we change the energy, what does this tell us that heat capacity is a measure for?
    The reason Im asking is I got an exercise, where the heat capacity goes from 0 to a max and then back to sorry for T=[0,∞). Im asked to interpret the meaning that C=0 for T=0 or T=∞, but I can't get the right intuition in terms of microstates etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2013 #2
    Look for an equation where you are expressing C in terms of S and T rather than anything to do with E. (Hint: Multiply your two equations together)

4. Jun 8, 2013 #3
    well all I could get from that is:

dU = TdS
    dU=CdT
    so
    C=T dS/dT which is just the chain rule for dU/dT=C

Was this what you were looking for? This doesn't for me give a lot of new insight.

5. Jun 9, 2013 #4
    I could also ask another way. Why is it intuitively that solid materials have C=0 at T=0?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook