Heat capacity & Latent heat Simple question

In summary, the problem involves pouring 215 cm3 of hot tea at 95°C into a paper cup containing 40 g of crushed ice at 0°C. The final temperature of the "ice tea" needs to be calculated by considering the melting of the ice and the warming of the resulting liquid. The equations used are 0 = m1c1ΔT1 + m2c2ΔT2 and Q=mc (change in T). The poster is unsure about their solution and is seeking confirmation.
Herbertus

Homework Statement

215 cm3 of hot tea at 95°C are poured into a very thin paper cup with 40 g of crushed ice at 0°C. Calculate the final temperature of the "ice tea". (Hint: think about two processes: melting the ice into liquid and, maybe, warming the liquid.)

Homework Equations

0 = m1c1ΔT1 + m2c2ΔT2

Q=mc (change in T)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am fairly certain I am doing this correctly, but my homework is online and it is coming back incorrect (for this and another that does not even have latent heat).
I just want to check and see if it is me or the program being useless as always.

Physics news on Phys.org
Herbertus said:

Homework Statement

215 cm3 of hot tea at 95°C are poured into a very thin paper cup with 40 g of crushed ice at 0°C. Calculate the final temperature of the "ice tea". (Hint: think about two processes: melting the ice into liquid and, maybe, warming the liquid.)

Homework Equations

0 = m1c1ΔT1 + m2c2ΔT2

Q=mc (change in T)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am fairly certain I am doing this correctly, but my homework is online and it is coming back incorrect (for this and another that does not even have latent heat).
I just want to check and see if it is me or the program being useless as always.

Welcome to PF,

Although you haven't really posted an attempt, it seems from the equations that you listed, that you haven't really considered the melting of the ice as the problem suggested.

What is heat capacity and how is it different from latent heat?

Heat capacity is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree. It is a measure of how much heat a substance can hold. Latent heat, on the other hand, is the amount of energy required to change the phase of a substance (e.g. from solid to liquid) without a change in temperature.

What factors affect the heat capacity of a substance?

The heat capacity of a substance is affected by its mass, specific heat capacity, and temperature. In general, substances with higher mass and specific heat capacity have a higher heat capacity.

Can heat capacity and latent heat be measured experimentally?

Yes, both heat capacity and latent heat can be measured experimentally using various methods such as calorimetry or differential scanning calorimetry.

How is heat capacity and latent heat used in practical applications?

Heat capacity and latent heat are important concepts in thermodynamics and are used in various practical applications such as designing heating and cooling systems, determining the energy requirements for phase changes in industrial processes, and calculating the energy efficiency of materials and substances.

Are heat capacity and latent heat related to each other?

While heat capacity and latent heat are both measures of energy, they are not directly related to each other. However, the heat capacity of a substance can change during a phase change, as energy is required to break the bonds between molecules and change the substance's state.