Heat Capacity Numerical Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a numerical problem in a Thermal Physics course where two columns of numbers, C/Nk and kT/eps, need to be plotted and analyzed. The goal is to estimate the constant eps for different materials using experimental values for C(T). The suggested method involves finding a proportionality constant and using it to approximate the value of eps.
YAHA

Homework Statement

I am working on a problem for my Thermal Physics course. In short, its a numerical problem. I had to go through some Excel calculations and end up with two columns of numbers. One, C/Nk, where C-heat capacity, k-boltzmann constant, N-number of particles and the other is kT/eps, where k-Boltzmann constant, T-temperature, eps-some unit of energy. I have sets of numbers in both of these columns, so I can plot C/Nk as a function of kT/eps.

Then, I am am given an experimentally measured C(T) for some real materials and asked to estimate(roughly) the constant eps for each of the materials. How do I go about this? Any hints? I have tried doing some numerical methods, but end up with a mess. There has to be some quick and simple way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that only [itex]C[/itex] depends on [itex]T[/itex], you can write
[tex]
\frac{C}{Nk} = a \frac{k T}{\epsilon},
[/tex]
where [itex]a[/itex] is some proportionality constant. On your graph of [itex]C/Nk[/itex] vs [itex]k T/\epsilon[/itex], find some point where you can find an approximate value for [itex]a[/itex] (hint: the steeper the slope, the smaller the error).

Then, do the same for the experimental values, with [itex]\epsilon[/itex] the unknown, instead of [itex]a[/itex].

1. What is heat capacity and how is it measured?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is measured in joules per degree Celsius (J/°C) or in calories per degree Celsius (cal/°C).

2. What factors affect the heat capacity of a substance?

The heat capacity of a substance is affected by its mass, its specific heat capacity, and any phase changes that may occur.

3. How do you calculate the heat capacity of a substance?

The heat capacity of a substance can be calculated by dividing the amount of heat energy absorbed by the substance by the change in temperature.

4. Can heat capacity be negative?

No, heat capacity cannot be negative as it is a measure of the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of a substance. Negative values may occur if there is a decrease in temperature or if the substance is losing heat energy.

5. How does heat capacity differ from specific heat capacity?

Heat capacity is a measure of the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius, while specific heat capacity is a measure of the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. In other words, heat capacity is dependent on the mass of the substance, while specific heat capacity is not.