1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat capacity of thermal radiation

1. Jan 12, 2006 #1
    we need to show that the heat capacity of thermal radiation at constant pressure is infinity. I have an argument, but am not sure if it works. we know that Cp = dQ/dT at constant p, but we also know that p is a function of T only, and therefore that T is a function of P only, therefore if dP=0,dT=0, so the denominator of Cp is zero and Cp is infinite. we are then asked to interpret this. I think it means that adding energy or subtracting it makes no difference to temperature if the pressure is constant, i.e thermal radiation acts as a heat resevoir at constant P, or does it mean that we can't add/subtract energy at constant temperature?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2011 #2
    Similar problem here. I'm conflicted by considering the release of energy into a volume of space. If you assume reflective boundary conditions, then I think the space could be taken to have some specific heat. I would like to know how to effectively calculate that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?