Heat capacity of water -- experimental determination

In summary, the experiment involves cooling a beaker of water below freezing point and then observing the times it takes to warm up at various temperatures. From the observations, it can be determined that the heat capacity of ice and liquid water are different, as well as the latent heat required for the ice to melt. However, the experiment does not provide enough information to determine the absolute values of these quantities.
sunquick

Homework Statement

A quantity of water in a beaker of negligible thermal capacity is cooled to a few degrees below freezing point. The beaker is then placed in a warm room, and the times recorded at which it is at various temperatures as it gradually warms. The observations were:

temperature/ºC time/min:
-3.0 0
-2.0 0.93
-1.0 1.89
0 2.92
0 169.72
1.0 171.84
2.0 174.04
3.0 176.34

Homework Equations

[tex] Q=C \Delta T [/tex]
[tex] Q= L [/tex]
[tex] Q= P \Delta t [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My question concerns part b)
I assume the power delivered to the system is constant.
So [tex] Q=C \Delta T = P \Delta t [/tex] or
[tex] \frac{\Delta t}{\Delta T} = C/P = const [/tex]

So I fit a straight line to the experimental points to determine the slope and so to know C/P.
There will be two heat capacities, one for ice and the other for liquid water. I can determine the ratio o C_ice / C_water, and also of the latent heat necessary to melt the ice by noting that

[tex] P \frac{\Delta t_1}{\Delta T} = C [/tex]
[tex] P \Delta t_2 = L [/tex]
[tex] \Delta t_2 \frac{\Delta T}{\Delta t_1} = L / C [/tex]

I can find the heat capacities and latent heats with respect to one another, but I can't seem to know how find one of them in "absolute terms". My question is if that is possible, and what other quantitative results can be obtained from the observations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please state exactly what the question asks for.

Sorry I forgot tho type that part of the problem:

a) Explain the general form of the experimental results.
b) What quantitative results can you deduce from the observations?

For part a) I have to explain that heat is transferred to the ice, increasing its temperature, till it reaches 0ºC. Then it stays at that temperature until all the ice has melted away, because all the heat entering the system is going into changing the phase of the water instead of increasing its temperature. Once the ice has melted, the temperature rises again, this time at a different rate than before because water has a different specific heat capacity than ice.

sunquick said:
Sorry I forgot tho type that part of the problem:

a) Explain the general form of the experimental results.
b) What quantitative results can you deduce from the observations?

For part a) I have to explain that heat is transferred to the ice, increasing its temperature, till it reaches 0ºC. Then it stays at that temperature until all the ice has melted away, because all the heat entering the system is going into changing the phase of the water instead of increasing its temperature. Once the ice has melted, the temperature rises again, this time at a different rate than before because water has a different specific heat capacity than ice.
Then I think you are finished. As you say, you cannot determine the heat capacities of the water sample in its different phases, let alone the capacities per unit mass. All you can provide is the ratios between them.

What is the heat capacity of water?

The heat capacity of water is defined as the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius.

Why is it important to determine the heat capacity of water experimentally?

Determining the heat capacity of water experimentally allows for more accurate and precise measurements, as the heat capacity of water can vary depending on factors such as temperature and impurities.

How is the heat capacity of water experimentally determined?

The heat capacity of water can be experimentally determined by measuring the temperature change of a known mass of water when a known amount of heat is added or removed.

What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius. It is often referred to as simply the heat capacity of water.

How does the heat capacity of water compare to other substances?

The heat capacity of water is relatively high compared to other substances, meaning it requires a large amount of energy to raise its temperature. This is due to its unique molecular structure and hydrogen bonding, which allow water to absorb and retain heat more effectively.