Calculating Heat Capacity for Cage Weight of 1000 kg at 9 m/s

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the amount of oil needed to keep the temperature of a bearing down to 70 C while a winding engine raises a 1000 kg cage at a reduced speed due to friction. The solution involves using the linear motion equation to calculate the distance and then using the work done by friction to find the heat energy. Finally, the mass can be calculated using the heat energy and specific heat capacity.
Scarlet_pat

Homework Statement

in the absense of bearing friction a winding engine would raise a cage weighing 1000 kg at 10m/s, but this is reduced by friction to 9 m/s, how much oil, initially at 20 C is required per second to keep the temperature of the bearing down to 70 C
(specific heat capacity of oil is 2100 J/Kg K , g = 9.81 )

Homework Equations

heat energy = mass x specific heat capacity x change of temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

i personally do not know how to attempt this question, i was trying to see if there is any relationship between velocity and energy, but i couldn't find anything. please .. help

Physics news on Phys.org
The work done by friction is equal to the energy released as heat. Calculate the work done by friction using conservation of energy, then go from there.

RobL14 said:
The work done by friction is equal to the energy released as heat. Calculate the work done by friction using conservation of energy, then go from there.

first of all, thank you very much, but yet still i didnt get the correct answer. therefore i would like to find out if i was in the right direction

1. by using linear motion equation : v^2 = u^2 +2as
solved for S : s = v^2-u^2/2a

when distance is found. i calculated the force = mg

word done by the friction is equal to the heat energy therefore : force = mg x S

since heat energy is found. equation ... Heat energy = m c ( theta temp ) was used
solve for mass
M = heat energy / c ( theta temp.)
am i correct?

first of all, thank you very much, but yet still i didnt get the correct answer. therefore i would like to find out if i was in the right direction

1. by using linear motion equation : v^2 = u^2 +2as
solved for S : s = v^2-u^2/2a

when distance is found. i calculated the force = mg

word done by the friction is equal to the heat energy therefore : force = mg x S

since heat energy is found. equation ... Heat energy = m c ( theta temp ) was used
solve for mass
M = heat energy / c ( theta temp.)
am i correct?

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of heat capacity and how it relates to the specific heat capacity of a substance. Heat capacity is defined as the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius, and it is directly proportional to the mass and specific heat capacity of the substance.

In this problem, we are given the weight of the cage (1000 kg) and the specific heat capacity of the oil (2100 J/kg K). We are also given the initial and final temperatures (20 C and 70 C) and the rate at which the temperature is changing (9 m/s). From this information, we can calculate the heat energy required to keep the bearing at 70 C using the equation:

Heat energy = mass x specific heat capacity x change in temperature

Substituting the given values, we get:

Heat energy = (1000 kg) x (2100 J/kg K) x (70 C - 20 C)

= 420,000,000 J

Next, we need to find the rate at which this heat energy is being produced, which is given by the equation:

Heat energy per second = mass x specific heat capacity x change in temperature per second

In this case, the change in temperature per second is given by the velocity of the cage (9 m/s). So, the heat energy per second is:

Heat energy per second = (1000 kg) x (2100 J/kg K) x (9 m/s)

= 18,900,000 J/s

Finally, we need to find the amount of oil required per second to dissipate this heat energy and maintain the bearing temperature at 70 C. This can be done using the equation:

Mass of oil per second = heat energy per second / specific heat capacity of oil

Substituting the values, we get:

Mass of oil per second = (18,900,000 J/s) / (2100 J/kg K)

= 9,000 kg/s

Therefore, to keep the bearing temperature at 70 C, we would need 9,000 kg of oil per second. This calculation assumes that all the energy produced by friction is absorbed by the oil and does not take into account any other factors such as heat loss to the surroundings.

1. How do you calculate heat capacity for a cage weight of 1000 kg at 9 m/s?

The formula for calculating heat capacity is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of heat transferred, m is the mass of the object, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. To calculate the heat capacity for a cage weight of 1000 kg at 9 m/s, you would need to know the specific heat capacity of the material the cage is made of and the change in temperature experienced by the cage.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of the material used for the cage?

The specific heat capacity of a material is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of 1 kg of that material by 1 degree Celsius. It is usually measured in units of J/kg°C. The specific heat capacity of different materials can vary, so you would need to know the specific material used for the cage to calculate its heat capacity.

3. How does the velocity of the cage affect its heat capacity?

The velocity of the cage does not directly affect its heat capacity. However, it can indirectly affect the heat capacity by causing a change in temperature. When an object is moving, it experiences friction with the surrounding air, which can cause a change in temperature. This change in temperature would need to be taken into account when calculating the heat capacity.

4. Can you provide an example of calculating heat capacity for a cage weight of 1000 kg at 9 m/s?

Sure, let's say the cage is made of steel, which has a specific heat capacity of 0.45 J/kg°C. If the cage experiences a change in temperature of 10°C while moving at a velocity of 9 m/s, we can calculate the heat capacity as follows: Q = (1000 kg)(0.45 J/kg°C)(10°C) = 4500 J. This means that the cage would require 4500 joules of heat energy to raise its temperature by 10°C.

5. How is heat capacity used in real-life applications?

Heat capacity is used in various real-life applications, such as in the design of heating and cooling systems for buildings, in the development of materials for insulation, and in the design of engines and other machinery. It is also important in industries that involve temperature-sensitive processes, such as food and beverage production and chemical manufacturing.