What are the factors to consider when calculating heat change in a wire loop?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the heat change in a wire loop using Fourier's Law. The variables needed are power (P), thermal conductivity (K), radius of the wire (a) and radius of the loop (r). A is the surface area of the wire and Delta(x) is the distance between the end points. The end points refer to the length of the wire, and without a temperature difference between these points, no heat will flow.
TheWire247
I am trying to calculate what the heat change from room temperature is in a wire loop is. I have the power P, the thermal conductivity K , the radius of the wire "a" and the radius of the loop "r". Using Fourier's Law:

[itex] P = -KA \frac{\Delta T}{\Delta x} [/itex]

I am unsure what to use as A and [itex] \Delta x [/itex]. I have the idea that A would be surface area of the wire ([itex] 4 \pi^{2} a r [/itex]) and [itex] \Delta x [/itex] would be the just a. Is my thinking right?

Science news on Phys.org
A is indeed the surface of the wire. Delta(x) is the distance between the end points. With the radius of the loop you should be able to get delta(x)!

What do you mean by the end points. Is that the length of the wire?

TheWire247 said:
What do you mean by the end points. Is that the length of the wire?

Yes!

The set-up still isn't clear. 'Loop' implies no ends; between what points is there a temperature difference? Without a temperature difference no heat will flow.

1. How does heat change from a wire loop?

Heat change from a wire loop occurs when an electrical current passes through the wire. The resistance of the wire causes the electrical energy to be converted into heat energy, which then flows through the wire and can be transferred to surrounding objects.

2. What factors affect the amount of heat change from a wire loop?

The amount of heat change from a wire loop is affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the wire, the amount of current passing through the wire, and the duration of the current flow.

3. How does the length of the wire affect the heat change?

The length of the wire can affect the heat change by increasing the resistance of the wire. A longer wire will have a higher resistance, which means more electrical energy will be converted into heat energy as it passes through the wire.

4. Can heat change from a wire loop be controlled?

Yes, heat change from a wire loop can be controlled by adjusting the current flow through the wire. Lowering the current will result in less heat being produced, while increasing the current will result in more heat being produced.

5. What is the practical application of studying heat change from a wire loop?

Studying heat change from a wire loop can have practical applications in fields such as electrical engineering and materials science. It can also be used to understand and control the heat generated in various electrical devices and systems.