What is the Solution to a Heat Conduction Problem in a Rod?

In summary: C_n}{sin(n\pi x)}= sin(2\pi x)- sin(5\pi x) [ /tex ]In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution of a heat conduction problem, with specific boundary and initial conditions. The equations used for the solution are also mentioned, including the formula for U(x,t) and the value of cn. The conversation ends with a discussion about setting up the problem correctly and finding the values of cn.
EV33

Homework Statement

Find the solution of the heat conduction problem:

100Uxx=Ut, 0<x<1, t>0;

U(0,t)=0, U(1,t)=0, t>0;

U(x,0)=sin(2[tex]\pi[/tex]x)-sin(5[tex]\pi[/tex]x), 0[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]1

Homework Equations

U(x,t)=[tex]\sum[/tex]cne(-n2[tex]\pi[/tex]2[tex]\alpha[/tex]2t)/L2sin((n[tex]\pi[/tex]x)/L)

(sum from n=1 to infinity)

cn=2/L [tex]\int[/tex]f(x)sin((n[tex]\pi[/tex]x)/L)dx (evalutated from 0 to L)

The Attempt at a Solution

cn=2[tex]\int[/tex](sin(2[tex]\pi[/tex]x)-sin(5[tex]\pi[/tex]x))sin(n[tex]\pi[/tex]x)dx=0 (evalutated from 0 to 1)

I did this tedious integral by hand and got zero and verified it with my calculator. Therefore, I think that I am setting up the problem wrong. So if this is not how to set up cn then what should I do different?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
None of those pi's should be superscripts. Not sure why they came out like that.

Strictly speaking they didn't. LaTeX is typically put slightly out of line with the text. I recommend that you NOT put indvidual symbols in LaTeX but entire formulas. Using "[ itex ]... [ /itex ]" (without the spaces, of course) will keep short formulas better in line with text. [ tex ]... [ /tex ] will look better on separate lines from text.

Where did that "[itex]\alpha[/itex]" come from? There is no [itex]\alpha[/itex] in your problem. I get
[tex]e^{-100n^2\pi^2 t}[/tex]
for the exponential.

You don't really need to do any integral.

I get
[tex]\sum C_n e^{-100n^2\pi^2 t}sin(n\pi x)[/tex]
and at t= 0 that is
[tex]\sum C_n sin(n\pi x)= sin(2\pi x)- sin(5\pi x)[/tex]
It should be obvious from that what each [itex]C_n[/itex] must be.

1. What is heat conduction in a rod?

Heat conduction in a rod is the transfer of thermal energy through a solid material, such as a metal rod, due to the movement of electrons and atoms within the material. This movement causes the transfer of heat from a region of higher temperature to a region of lower temperature.

2. How does heat conduction occur in a rod?

Heat conduction occurs in a rod through a process called thermal diffusion, where the kinetic energy of the particles in the material is transferred from one particle to another. This transfer of energy continues until thermal equilibrium is reached, where the temperature is the same throughout the material.

3. What factors affect heat conduction in a rod?

The rate of heat conduction in a rod is affected by several factors, including the material of the rod, its cross-sectional area, its length, and the temperature difference between the two ends of the rod.

4. How is heat conduction measured in a rod?

The rate of heat conduction in a rod can be measured using the equation Q/t = kA(T2-T1)/L, where Q is the amount of heat transferred, t is the time, k is the thermal conductivity of the material, A is the cross-sectional area, T2 and T1 are the temperatures at the two ends of the rod, and L is the length of the rod.

5. What are some real-life applications of heat conduction in a rod?

Heat conduction in a rod is used in various applications, such as in cooking, where heat is transferred from a stove to a pan through a metal rod handle. It is also used in cooling systems, where heat is conducted away from engines and other components through metal rods. In addition, heat conduction is used in thermal insulation materials to reduce heat transfer in buildings and other structures.