1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat current through a spherical shell

1. Aug 7, 2005 #1
    A spherical shell has inner radii a and outer radii b. The temperatures at the inner and outer surfaces are T2 and T1. The thermal conductivity of the shell material is k. I have to derive an equation for the total heat current through the shell.

The equation for heat current through a rod is H=k*A*DeltaT/L where L is the length of the rod.

For this sperical shell the area which is perpendicular to the flow of the heat is changing with the radius. So I have to integrate the area. Am I right here?
    I have tried to integrate the area by doing:
    A=integrate(4*pi*r^2) from a to b
    But I end up with something far from the right answer, don't want to get into that.
    Could anyone please give me a hint to this problem?

The right answer is H=4*pi*k*a*b*DeltaT/(b-a)
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

Along the lines of the example H=k*A*DeltaT/L

the current is the area integral of the heat flux.

In general, heat flux is given by -k*[itex]\nabla T[/itex], and [itex]\nabla T[/itex] can be approximated by [itex]\frac{\Delta T}{\Delta x}[/itex], where x is the generalized length dimension.

In the case of the sphere, one would apply [itex]\frac{\Delta T}{\Delta r}[/itex].

Also the area midway between the inner and outer surfaces may be given the the 4[itex]\pi[/itex]*R2, where R = [itex]\sqrt{r_i r_o}[/itex], i.e. the geometric mean radius.

Properly integrating the problem should also give the same answer, but the limits of integration are not (a, b), since one is considering a spherical surface.
  4. Aug 8, 2005 #3
    Thank you. :smile:

Just one question. How do you derive the mean of the radius?
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?