Heat current through a spherical shell

In summary, we are trying to derive an equation for the total heat current through a spherical shell with inner radii a and outer radii b, where the temperatures at the inner and outer surfaces are T2 and T1 and the thermal conductivity is k. The correct answer is given by H=4*pi*k*a*b*DeltaT/(b-a), where the mean radius is calculated as R=\sqrt{r_i r_o}. The area integral of the heat flux can also be used, with the proper limits of integration, to obtain the same result.
Swatch
A spherical shell has inner radii a and outer radii b. The temperatures at the inner and outer surfaces are T2 and T1. The thermal conductivity of the shell material is k. I have to derive an equation for the total heat current through the shell.

The equation for heat current through a rod is H=k*A*DeltaT/L where L is the length of the rod.

For this sperical shell the area which is perpendicular to the flow of the heat is changing with the radius. So I have to integrate the area. Am I right here?
I have tried to integrate the area by doing:
A=integrate(4*pi*r^2) from a to b
But I end up with something far from the right answer, don't want to get into that.
Could anyone please give me a hint to this problem?
Thanks

The right answer is H=4*pi*k*a*b*DeltaT/(b-a)

Physics news on Phys.org
Along the lines of the example H=k*A*DeltaT/L

the current is the area integral of the heat flux.

In general, heat flux is given by -k*[itex]\nabla T[/itex], and [itex]\nabla T[/itex] can be approximated by [itex]\frac{\Delta T}{\Delta x}[/itex], where x is the generalized length dimension.

In the case of the sphere, one would apply [itex]\frac{\Delta T}{\Delta r}[/itex].

Also the area midway between the inner and outer surfaces may be given the the 4[itex]\pi[/itex]*R2, where R = [itex]\sqrt{r_i r_o}[/itex], i.e. the geometric mean radius.

Properly integrating the problem should also give the same answer, but the limits of integration are not (a, b), since one is considering a spherical surface.

Thank you. :smile:

Just one question. How do you derive the mean of the radius?

Last edited:

1. What is heat current through a spherical shell?

Heat current through a spherical shell refers to the amount of thermal energy that is transferred through a spherical shell per unit of time. It is a measure of how fast heat is flowing through the shell.

2. How is heat current through a spherical shell calculated?

The heat current through a spherical shell can be calculated using the formula: Q/t = kA∆T/∆x, where Q/t is the heat current, k is the thermal conductivity of the material, A is the surface area of the shell, ∆T is the temperature difference across the shell, and ∆x is the thickness of the shell.

3. What factors affect the heat current through a spherical shell?

The heat current through a spherical shell is affected by several factors, including the thermal conductivity of the material, the surface area of the shell, the temperature difference across the shell, and the thickness of the shell.

4. How does the heat current through a spherical shell change with temperature?

The heat current through a spherical shell is directly proportional to the temperature difference across the shell. This means that as the temperature difference increases, the heat current also increases.

5. What is the significance of heat current through a spherical shell?

The heat current through a spherical shell is an important concept in thermodynamics and heat transfer. It helps us understand how heat is transferred through different materials and shapes, and plays a crucial role in many engineering and scientific applications.