1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat diffusion with arrhenius source

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a material occupies -L < x < L and has uniform ambient temperature T_a. A chemical reaction begins within the body leading to the 1-d heat equation:

[tex] pc \frac {\partial{T}}{\partial{t}} = k \frac {\partial^2{T}}{\partial{x^2}} + pQAe^\frac{-E}{RT} [/tex]

with BC and IC

[tex] T(+/- L, t) = T_a [/tex] and [tex] T(x,0) = T_a [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The book gives the following substitutions without any justification

[tex] \theta = \frac{E}{RT_a^2}(T-T_a) [/tex] and [tex] x = L*b [/tex]

and arrives at the following linear equation

[tex] L^2 \frac {pc}{k}{ \frac {\partial{\theta}}{\partial{t}} = \frac {\partial^2{\theta}}{\partial{b^2}} + z*e^\frac{\theta}{1+y\theta} [/tex]

then it asks to give the equations for z and y.

However, before I begin to solve this problem.. I would love to understand where the substitutions

[tex] \theta = \frac{E}{RT_a^2}(T-T_a) [/tex] and [tex] x = L*b [/tex]

came from. I presume that x = L*b is used to make x dimensionless.. but what about theta well??

Im pretty sure I know how to solve the problem (seperation of variables on the last eq.) , but I really don't understand the substitutions. It seems that whoever wrote the book solved the problem first and then realized the substitutions were a good fit. Any information (about the substitutions) is appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted