Heat energy dissipated between two conducting shells

In summary, after switch S3 is closed, current may flow through it. But this has not clarified anything for me and I don't even know where to start trying to solve for the sum.
Arka420

Homework Statement

aDLk4lr.png

A conducting sphere of radius a is surrounded by a neutral conducting shell of radius b (b > a).Connections are provided as shown in diagram. Initially, the sphere has a charge Q. The switch S1 is opened and then closed. The switch S2 is then opened and closed. Finally, the switch S3 is closed. What is the heat energy dissipated in the system after S3 is closed?

Homework Equations

E = k Qq/r2
V = k Qq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Work done is equal to the product of the charge and the potential difference. So it's my guess that, after switch S3 is opened, the product of the charge difference and the potential difference between the sphere and the shell IS the heat energy produced. However,this idea has only confused me all the more,and I don't even have a glint of how to proceed with the sum. (I am familiar with Gauss's law for electrostatics).

Physics news on Phys.org
Arka420 said:

Homework Statement

[ IMG]http://i.imgur.com/aDLk4lr.png[/PLAIN]
A conducting sphere of radius a is surrounded by a neutral conducting shell of radius b (b > a)Connections are provided as shown in diagram. Initially, the sphere has a charge Q. The switch S1 is opened and then closed. The switch S2 is then opened and closed. Finally, the switch S3 is closed. What is the heat energy dissipated in the system after S3 is closed?

Homework Equations

E = k Qq/r2
V = k Qq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Work done is equal to the product of the charge and the potential difference. So it's my guess that, after switch S3 is opened, the product of the charge difference and the potential difference between the sphere and the shell IS the heat energy produced. However,this idea has only confused me all the more,and I don't even have a glint of how to proceed with the sum. (I am familiar with Gauss's law for electrostatics).
I think you have a mistake in terminology.

When a switch is closed, current may flow through it . When it's open, no current can flow through it.

Added in Edit:
By the way: Your relevant equations are in error. They should not have Q⋅q, only Q or q. Not both.

Last edited:
Does current flow when S1 is closed?
Does current flow when S2 is closed?
Does current flow when S3 is closed?
What is q in your formulas for E and V?

I think no heat energy is dissipated after switch S3 is closed .Closing switch S3 doesn't make any difference to the previous state.

But ##\frac{KQ^2}{2b}## Joules of heat energy is liberated after switch S1 is closed and ##\frac{KQ^2}{2}(\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b})## Joules after switch S2 is closed (entire charge on the shells flows down to earth) .

Do you agree with the above results @rude man ?

Last edited:
Vibhor said:
I think no heat energy is dissipated after switch S3 is closed .Closing switch S3 doesn't make any difference to the setup .
agreed.
But ##\frac{KQ^2}{2b}## Joules of heat energy is liberated after switch S1 is closed ...
how come?

rude man said:
how come?

Electric potential energy of the system when all switches were open = ##\frac{KQ^2}{2a}##

Electric potential energy of the system when switch S1 is closed = ##\frac{KQ^2}{2}(\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b})##

The difference of the two is the heat energy dissipated .

Vibhor said:
Electric potential energy of the system when all switches were open = ##\frac{KQ^2}{2a}##

Electric potential energy of the system when switch S1 is closed = ##\frac{KQ^2}{2}(\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b})##

The difference of the two is the heat energy dissipated .
In order for there to be current flowing thru S1, don't you have to have charge on the shell before it gets grounded?
And, why is the potential energy of the system changed when S1 is closed?

According to you @rude man what should be the value of heat dissipated when switch S1 is closed ?

Last edited:
Vibhor said:
According to you @rude man what should be the value of heat dissipated when switch S1 is closed ?
I think you should reason that out for yourself after I gave you my last response.

rude man said:
In order for there to be current flowing thru S1, don't you have to have charge on the shell before it gets grounded?

If you are suggesting that since there is no charge on the shell , no charge flows when switch S1 is closed , then I beg to differ .

Last edited:
Vibhor said:
If you are suggesting that since there is no charge on the shell , no charge flows when switch S1 is closed , then I beg to differ .
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
r m

I'm a bit confused with the wording of the problem, as was SammyS.

The figure shows all three switches initially in the "open" position. So, it is odd to say "S1 is opened and then closed" when S1 was already in the open position.

From later posts, it seems that the following might be the intended interpretation. All switches are initially open with Q on the inner sphere. S1 is then closed and remains closed. S2 is then closed and remains closed. Finally, S3 is closed. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
From later posts, it seems that the following might be the intended interpretation. All switches are initially open with Q on the inner sphere. S1 is then closed and remains closed. S2 is then closed and remains closed. Finally, S3 is closed. Is this correct?

Yes.

Vibhor said:
Yes.
Then I agree with your answers in #4 and #6.

Likes Vibhor
Great !

Thanks a lot :smile:

TSny said:
Then I agree with your answers in #4 and #6.
@T - the shell has no charge on it before S1 is closed, and has no charge on it after S1 is closed, so how can there be current thru S1? Where is the closed circuit path for that current?
I don't see any change in the E field anywhere after S1 is closed. The sphere is still charged, the shell's inside still has induced & opposite charges on it, and the shell has zero net charge on it always.
Glad you joined in.
r m

rude man said:
@T - the shell has no charge on it before S1 is closed, and has no charge on it after S1 is closed, so how can there be current thru S1?
The net charge on the outer shell is zero, but there will be induced charge on the inner surface and opposite induced charge on the outer surface of the shell. The charge on the outer surface "runs to ground" when S1 is closed.

Where is the closed circuit path for that current?
There doesn't need to be a closed circuit path in order for charge to move between two conductors of different potential. (Think of the ground as a very large conductor at zero potential while the outer sphere is initially at nonzero potential.)

I don't see any change in the E field anywhere after S1 is closed. The sphere is still charged, the shell's inside still has induced & opposite charges on it, and the shell has zero net charge on it always.
The field outside the larger sphere disappears when S1 is closed.

Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
The net charge on the outer shell is zero, but there will be induced charge on the inner surface and opposite induced charge on the outer surface of the shell. The charge on the outer surface "runs to ground" when S1 is closed.There doesn't need to be a closed circuit path in order for charge to move between two conductors of different potential. (Think of the ground as a very large conductor at zero potential while the outer sphere is initially at nonzero potential.)The field outside the larger sphere disappears when S1 is closed.
Thanks T. Must mull this over.
r m

Vibhor said:
Great !

Thanks a lot :smile:
@Vibhor: TSny is one of our top advisers here at pf and you're right to go with him. I need to convince myself but I already know he's right! Apologies for misleading you.
r m

I suppose the whole thing could have been approached by energy conservation:
How much energy to charge the sphere (all switches still open:)
answer: kQ/a2. (The shell does not alter the E field from infinity to the sphere.)
How much energy left after all switches are closed:
answer: zero, since the sphere and shell are both at zero potential.
So total dissipated energy is just kQ2/2a, agreeing with T and the OP.
Further comment welcome.

Last edited:
Likes Vibhor
Yes I did, as I wrote in my last sentence. Sorry, typo.
Speaking generally, my advancing age sure isn't helping me either!
r m

1. What is the definition of heat energy dissipated between two conducting shells?

The heat energy dissipated between two conducting shells refers to the transfer of thermal energy from one shell to another due to a temperature difference between them. This transfer of energy occurs through conduction, which is the process of heat flowing through a material.

2. How does the distance between the two conducting shells affect the amount of heat energy dissipated?

The distance between the two shells can affect the amount of heat energy dissipated. The closer the shells are to each other, the more efficient the conduction process will be, resulting in a higher amount of heat energy being transferred between them. On the other hand, a larger distance between the shells will result in a slower transfer of heat energy.

3. What factors determine the rate of heat energy dissipation between two conducting shells?

The rate of heat energy dissipation between two conducting shells depends on several factors, including the temperature difference between the shells, the material and thickness of the shells, and the distance between them. Additionally, the thermal conductivity of the material and any external factors such as air flow or insulation can also affect the rate of heat transfer.

4. How does the shape of the conducting shells impact the dissipation of heat energy?

The shape of the conducting shells can have an impact on the dissipation of heat energy. For example, a larger surface area in contact between the shells can result in a higher rate of heat transfer. Additionally, the shape and design of the shells can also affect air flow and insulation, which can influence the rate of heat energy dissipation.

5. Can the heat energy dissipated between two conducting shells be controlled?

Yes, the heat energy dissipated between two conducting shells can be controlled through various methods. For example, changing the temperature difference between the shells, using materials with higher thermal conductivity, or adding insulation can all impact the rate of heat transfer. Additionally, adjusting the distance between the shells or changing the shape and design of the shells can also help control the dissipation of heat energy.