Solving a Heat/Energy Problem: Final Temp of Steam

• Thread starter PHYclueless
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving the specific heat and latent heats of fusion and vaporization for water. The question is asking for the final temperature of steam after heat is added to water at an initial temperature of 50c. The answer should be 138 degrees, but the person's calculation gives a result of 38 degrees. Suggestions are given to work out the equation for temperature change and to consider the specific heats at each stage of the process.
PHYclueless
Hello all. I have two questions I need help with but I'll post them in separate posts. I'll attach the problem and the work I've attempted. If someone could give me another idea I'd appreciate it. Thank you!

To make steam, you add 5.6x10^5J of heat to .220kg of water at an initial temperature of 50c. Find the final temperature of the steam, assuming a specific heat for steam = 2010J/(kg K), latent heat of fusion for water=33.5x10^4J/kg, and a latent heat of vaporization =22.6x10^5J/kg.

This is what I started working on and my answer comes out to be 38 degrees but the true answer is 138. Not sure where I'm going wrong here.

mass(specific heat)(change in temp)+mass(latent fusion)+mass(specific heat)(Tf-Ti)+mass(latent vaporization)=Energy

.220kg(4186J/kgc)(50c)+.220kg(33.5x10^4J/kg)+.220kg(4186J/kgc)(Tf-100c)+.220kg(22.6x10^5)=5.6x10^5J

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's because you "melted" your 50 degree (hot) water.

PHYclueless said:
Hello all. I have two questions I need help with but I'll post them in separate posts. I'll attach the problem and the work I've attempted. If someone could give me another idea I'd appreciate it. Thank you!

To make steam, you add 5.6x10^5J of heat to .220kg of water at an initial temperature of 50c. Find the final temperature of the steam, assuming a specific heat for steam = 2010J/(kg K), latent heat of fusion for water=33.5x10^4J/kg, and a latent heat of vaporization =22.6x10^5J/kg.

This is what I started working on and my answer comes out to be 38 degrees but the true answer is 138. Not sure where I'm going wrong here.

mass(specific heat)(change in temp)+mass(latent fusion)+mass(specific heat)(Tf-Ti)+mass(latent vaporization)=Energy

.220kg(4186J/kgc)(50c)+.220kg(33.5x10^4J/kg)+.220kg(4186J/kgc)(Tf-100c)+.220kg(22.6x10^5)=5.6x10^5J
What does the latent heat of fusion have to do with this problem? What state is the water in initially? What happens when heat is added?

You have to apply your knowledge of physics to derive the correct expression first and be able to explain it.

I suggest you work out the equation for temperature change and then plug in the numbers.

AM

Do you really think the water will become cooler if you add heat to it? I suggest you first determine, using the specific heat, if the energy added will be enough to make it vaporize. If so, determine how much energy is left over for when you change from 50-100 degrees. Then determine if all the water will vaporize with the left-over energy there. From there you can use another specific heat to determine how much the steam heats up. Remember that your equation will change at every stage since the specific heats will change. 1 equation will not solve this.

1. How do you calculate the final temperature of steam in a heat/energy problem?

The final temperature of steam can be calculated using the formula: Tf = (mCp(Tf-Ti) + mLv + mCp(Tf-Ti)) / (mCp + mLv), where Tf is the final temperature, Ti is the initial temperature, m is the mass of the steam, Cp is the specific heat capacity, and Lv is the latent heat of vaporization.

2. What is the importance of knowing the final temperature of steam in a heat/energy problem?

Knowing the final temperature of steam is important because it allows us to understand the amount of heat/energy needed to raise the temperature of the steam from its initial state to its final state. This information is crucial in various industrial and scientific applications, such as designing heat exchangers or determining the efficiency of power plants.

3. How do different factors affect the final temperature of steam in a heat/energy problem?

Several factors can affect the final temperature of steam, including the initial temperature, mass of the steam, specific heat capacity, and latent heat of vaporization. Additionally, external factors such as pressure and heat transfer rate can also impact the final temperature of steam.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a heat/energy problem for the final temperature of steam?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a heat/energy problem for the final temperature of steam include not converting units properly, using incorrect values for specific heat capacity or latent heat of vaporization, and not considering all the factors that can affect the final temperature. It is important to double-check calculations and use accurate data to avoid errors.

5. Are there any alternative methods for calculating the final temperature of steam in a heat/energy problem?

Yes, there are alternative methods for calculating the final temperature of steam, such as using the steam tables or using online calculators. These methods may be quicker and more convenient, but it is important to understand the underlying principles and assumptions behind the calculations to ensure accuracy.