Calculating Temperature Rise in 100m Waterfall: Heat Energy Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of mechanical energy into heat in a waterfall and how to calculate the temperature rise in a 100 m waterfall. The equation q=mc(Tf-Ti) is mentioned and the potential energy formula is suggested as a starting point. The unknowns are identified as mass and specific heat capacity, and the equation M(9.8)(100) = mc Delta T is proposed.
shakejuhn

Homework Statement

Much of the energy of falling water in a waterfall is converted into heat.

If all the mechanical energy is converted into heat that stays in the water, how much of a rise in temperature occurs in a 100 m waterfall?

Homework Equations

q=mc(Tf-Ti)
Q=mc Delta T
Delta T = |Tf-Ti|

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea where to start or what equation to use all i see is the 100m can some one please lead me in the correct direction with the correct formula to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
potential energy = mgh

This is the energy available to be converted to heat.

ok so P.E.=MGH

P.E. = M(9.8)(100)

is this correct there are still 2 unknows

If all the energy is converted into heat then P.E. = Q

Set them equal and solve for delta T.

ok so the equation would look like this

M(9.8)(100) = mc Delta T

but i still need to know the Mass and MC am i overlooking something??

What is the formula for calculating temperature rise in a 100m waterfall?

The formula for calculating temperature rise in a 100m waterfall is Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of water, c is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

How do you calculate the mass of water in a 100m waterfall?

To calculate the mass of water in a 100m waterfall, you can use the formula m = ρ x V, where m is the mass, ρ is the density of water, and V is the volume of water. The density of water is typically 1000 kg/m³.

What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is 4.186 joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C). This means that it takes 4.186 joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius.

How do you calculate the change in temperature in a 100m waterfall?

To calculate the change in temperature in a 100m waterfall, you can use the formula ΔT = Q / (m x c), where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of water, and c is the specific heat capacity of water.

What are some factors that can affect the calculation of temperature rise in a 100m waterfall?

Some factors that can affect the calculation of temperature rise in a 100m waterfall include the amount of heat energy lost to the surroundings, the initial temperature of the water, and any changes in the specific heat capacity of water due to pressure or impurities.