1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Engine problem 2

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Modern nuclear power plants have an overall efficiency of about 30%. Fossil fuel plants achieve overall efficiencies of 40%. Compare the rate of heat emission from a nuclear plant with that from a fossil fuel plant each of which produces an output power of 1000 MW

2. Relevant equations

e=W/Qh

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know where to start because we're only given the efficency and the power but that's not enough information i think

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I don't think your formula is useful in this case. It is a more basic efficiency question.

It's kind of like this. Say you are picking berries and you eat 70% of what you pick. After a long hot day, you have 5 pounds of berries in your pail. Can you figure out what you picked and what you ate? If you have trouble with that, try a 50% eating rate first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook