Heat Engine Problem: Q, Entropy, W, Change in Entropy of Universe

In summary, we discussed a reversible heat engine operating between two reservoirs with different temperatures and a constant volume of gas. We calculated the amount of heat extracted from the warmer reservoir, the change in entropy of the warmer reservoir, and the work produced by the engine. However, the change in entropy of the universe is still unknown.
DanAbnormal

Homework Statement

A reversible heat engine operates between two reservoirs having temperatures T1 and T2 (T2 > T1). The temperature T1 of the cold reservoir remains constant, whereas the warmer reservoir consists of n moles of a gas at constant volume with specific heat capacity Cv. After the heat engine has operated for period of time [tex]\Delta[/tex]t, the temperature T2 has dropped to T1.

i) How much heat is extracted from the warmer reservoir during [tex]\Delta[/tex]t?

ii) What is the change of entropy of the warmer reservoir during [tex]\Delta[/tex]t?

iii) How much work did the engine produce during [tex]\Delta[/tex]t?

iv) What is the change in entropy of the universe during [tex]\Delta[/tex]t?

Homework Equations

Q = nCv[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

The Attempt at a Solution

i) Right for the first part I am assuming [tex]\Delta[/tex]T corresponds to (T2 - T1), so the heat extracted is

Q = nCv(T2 - T1) ?

ii) For the next bit I am not sure. It says the heat engine is reversable, which makes me think there's no change in entropy, however it hasnt completed a cycle in [tex]\Delta[/tex]t. So that can't be right... can it?

iii) For the work done W = Qh - Qc

and Qh (if my attempt at part one is right) is = nCv[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

so W = (nCv[tex]\Delta[/tex]T) - Qc ?

iv) And the last part is kind of the same problem I have with part two.

So for the bits I've done am I right, and for the entropy parts is it zero or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. That makes sense to me.

2. The question asks what's the change in entropy of the reservoir not the engine. S = int(Q/dt) + (s2-s1)

3. Uhhh...I'm not to sure, be careful with your deltaT. I will agree with W = Qh-Qc

4. I have no idea how the hell anyone would find this but if they did that would be pretty amazing. I'm just going to guess and say the answer is, The Letter H.

Topher925 said:
2. The question asks what's the change in entropy of the reservoir not the engine. S = int(Q/dt) + (s2-s1)

what does s2 and s1 mean?

1. What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts heat energy into mechanical work. It operates in a cycle, taking in heat from a high-temperature source, converting some of it into work, and releasing the remaining heat to a low-temperature sink.

2. What is the relationship between heat, work, and entropy in a heat engine?

In a heat engine, heat is converted into work, and this process results in an increase in entropy. This is because some of the energy is lost as heat to the low-temperature sink, increasing the disorder and randomness of the system.

3. What is the change in entropy of the universe in a heat engine problem?

The change in entropy of the universe in a heat engine problem is always positive, as the conversion of heat energy into work results in an increase in the overall disorder and randomness of the universe.

4. How is the efficiency of a heat engine calculated?

The efficiency of a heat engine is calculated by dividing the work output by the heat input. This is known as the Carnot efficiency and represents the maximum possible efficiency for a heat engine operating between two temperature extremes.

5. How is the direction of heat flow determined in a heat engine?

The direction of heat flow in a heat engine is determined by the temperature difference between the high-temperature source and the low-temperature sink. Heat will naturally flow from a higher temperature to a lower temperature, and this is what drives the conversion of heat into work in a heat engine.