Nuclear Power Plant Efficiency and Cooling Calculation

In summary, a nuclear power plant generates 2000 MW of heat energy which is used to produce 700 MW of electric power through boiling water and spinning a turbine. The maximum possible thermal efficiency is 47.1%, while the actual efficiency of the plant is 35%. The cooling water from a river is used in a low temperature heat exchanger and exits at a final temperature of 27.3 degrees C.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

A nuclear power plant generates 2000 MW of heat energy from nuclear reactions in the reactor's core. This energy is usd to boil water and produce high pressure steam at 300 degrees C. The steam spins a turbine, which produces 700 MW of electric power, then the steam is condensed and the water is cooled to 30 degrees before starting the cycle again

a)What is the maximum possible thermal efficiency?
b)What is the plant's actual efficiency?
c) Cooling water from a river flows through the condenser ( the low temperature heat exchanger) at the rate of 1.2 * 10^8 L/hr. If the water enters the condenser at 18 degrees C, what is its exit temperature?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Carnot efficiency = 1 - Tc/Th
1- (303K/573K) = .471

b) rate of Wout = 700 MW = 7 * 10^8 J/s
Rate of Qh = 2000MW = 2 * 10^9 J/s

Efficiency = (7*10^8J/s)/(2*10^9J/s)=.35

c) This is the part that I am confused about. I was going to use the formula for heat and set up an equation for heat lost = heat gained, but I don't know the mass of the steam. Is there a formula I'm not thinking of?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I just had an idea

rate of work out = rateQh-rateQc
(7.0*10^8)=(2*10^9J/s)-Qc
Qc= 1.3 * 10^9 J/s

and so 1.3 *10^9J/s * 3600s/1.2*10^8kg = 39000J/kg
Q=mcT
39000 = 1kg*4160T
T= 9.3 so the final temp is 27.3 degrees C Is this correct?

2000 MW of heat is available.
700 MW of that becomes electrical power.
Energy must be conserved, what happens to the remaining energy?

bcjochim07 said:
final temp is 27.3 degrees C Is this correct?

Looks good.

(I didn't check with a calculator, but doing rough estimations in my head your numbers all look good.)

1. What is the purpose of a nuclear power plant?

A nuclear power plant is designed to generate electricity using nuclear reactions. It produces heat by splitting atoms in a process called nuclear fission, which is then used to create steam and power turbines that generate electricity.

2. How is the efficiency of a nuclear power plant calculated?

The efficiency of a nuclear power plant is calculated by dividing the amount of electricity produced by the total amount of energy input. This is typically expressed as a percentage, with modern nuclear power plants having an efficiency of around 33-36%.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a nuclear power plant?

Several factors can affect the efficiency of a nuclear power plant, including the design and age of the plant, the type of reactor used, and the quality of maintenance and operation. Other factors such as environmental conditions and fuel quality can also impact efficiency.

4. How does a nuclear power plant cool down?

A nuclear power plant uses a cooling system to remove excess heat from the reactor and other components. This is typically done through a process called condensation, where steam is cooled and converted back into liquid form. The cooled water is then recirculated back into the reactor to absorb more heat.

5. What are the environmental impacts of nuclear power plant cooling?

The environmental impacts of nuclear power plant cooling are a subject of ongoing research and debate. While the cooling process does not directly emit greenhouse gases, it can have negative effects on local ecosystems due to the release of heated water back into the environment. Additionally, the use of water for cooling can deplete local water sources and harm aquatic life. However, advancements in cooling technology and regulations have helped mitigate these impacts.