1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat engine (thermodynamics)

1. Oct 23, 2005 #1
    A heat engine has the three step cycle shown above. Starting from point A, 1 L (liter) of ideal gas expands in the isobaric (constant pressure) process A to B at P = 2 atm. B to C is isovolumetric process at V = 5 L, and C to A is an isothermal (constant temperature) compression at 300 K. (Note that the diagram is illustrating V vs P. This should make no difference in your calculations. )

I've already figured out that the pressure at point C is .4 atm

now it asks:

Find the heat (in J) exhausted in the process B to C if the internal energy of the gas U = 5.0J/K * T.

since its isovolumetric, W = 0, thus delta U = Q

so i did the following:

delta U = 1.5 n R (T(c) - T(b) )

I calculate T(b) by ideal gas law eqa..... then i get 1215.6 J....apparently that's incorrect, ...what am i supposed to do with the 5 J given????:frown:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2005 #2
    has anyone got any clues to this yet?
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  4. Oct 27, 2005 #3
    i'm still stuck on this, i guess my question is what am i supposed to do with the U = 5 J that's given?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?