1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat EQ

1. Jan 7, 2015 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

hi pf!

i'm wondering if you can help me with the heat eq for a basic cylinder wire problem. namely, we have a wire with radius ##r_i## and length ##L##and resistance is ##R## and current is ##I##. Thus heat produced $$Q = R I^2 \pi r_i^2 L$$. When using the heat eq, we assume time rate of change is negligable. flux is governed by fouriers law, and the divergence theorem gives us the following: $$\int_V k \nabla^2 T dv + \int_V \frac{Q}{\pi r^2 L}dv = 0$$.is this right though? namely, is ##Q## divided by an arbitrary ##r## or the radius ##r_i##?

thanks so much!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Care to tell us how you came up with this expression?

@Chestermiller , @Orodruin

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  4. Jan 8, 2015 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

I knew units for heat generation in 3-D need to be watts per cubic meter. So I simply tracked units. This Q multiplied by dv gives us watts, which is the unit we're after.

5. Jan 8, 2015 #4
    But what are the units of [itex]k\nabla^2T[/itex] (k should be the thermal diffusivity)?

[edit: I mean k=thermal conductivity of course]

6. Jan 8, 2015 #5

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Watts per cubic meter, right?

7. Jan 8, 2015 #6
    and of the term [itex]\frac{Q}{\pi r^2 L} = I^2 R \frac{\pi r_i^2 L}{\pi r^2 L}[/itex] (with [itex]I^2R[/itex] the electric power)?

8. Jan 8, 2015 #7

joshmccraney

Gold Member

watts? am i missing something here? seems like you are eluding to something.

9. Jan 8, 2015 #8

joshmccraney

Gold Member

oh shoooot! i should have defined ##Q : Q = I^2 R / \pi r_i ^2 L## right? but is it ##r_i## or ##r##?

10. Jan 8, 2015 #9
    ri. The rate of heat generation per unit volume in the wire is constant. ri should also be what appears in the equation with the integrals.

Chet

11. Jan 9, 2015 #10

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi chet!

ok, so what i should have modeled from the start is $$\int_v k \nabla ^2T dv = \int_v Q dv : Q = I^2 R / \pi r_i^2 L$$ do you all agree? if so, solving would be (using 1-D radial flow in polar coordinates) $$-k\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr} ( r T') = Q \implies \\ -k d(r T') = rQdr \implies \\ \int_?^{??} -k d(r T') = \int_0^{r_i}rQdr$$
    but what are my bounds for integration? any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  12. Jan 9, 2015 #11
    Q is a constant, so it comes out of the integral. You integrate both sides from 0 to ri.

Chet

13. Jan 9, 2015 #12

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Are you sure? I'm thinking if we had a differential equation over some interval of time ##[0,T]##, say, $$\frac{dy}{dt} = k \implies \\ \int_0^T \frac{dy}{dt} dt = \int_0^T k dt \implies \\ \int_{y(0)}^{y(T)} dy = \int_0^T k dt$$ but notice we do not have ##[0,T]## on both sides.

14. Jan 9, 2015 #13
    OK. 0 to rT' evaluated at ri.

Chet

15. Jan 9, 2015 #14

joshmccraney

Gold Member

But in this case we wouldn't have a function of ##r##. Would we instead just integrate from ##0,r## generally so we can still have a profile rather than a number?

16. Jan 9, 2015 #15
    That's fine, but you seemed to be applying the equation over the entire volume. Integrating out to R is just fine.

Chet

17. Jan 9, 2015 #16

joshmccraney

Gold Member

So if I'm understanding this correctly we would have $$-k\int_{0*T'(0)}^{r*T'(r)} d(r T') = Q\int_0^r r dr \implies \\ -k r T'(r) = Qr^2/2 \implies \\ -kT'(r) = Qr/2 \implies \\ -kT'(r) = \frac{R I^2}{2 \pi r_i^2 L r}$$ is this right so far?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  18. Jan 9, 2015 #17

joshmccraney

Gold Member

But then if I made a flux balance we could write ##q = R I^2 / (2 \pi r L)## watts/sq. meter. Fourier's law implies also ##q = -k T'(r)## (1-D radial flow). Thus, $$-kT'(r) = \frac{R I^2} { 2 \pi r L}$$ which doesn't agree with the above. Can you help me with what I'm doing wrong?

19. Jan 9, 2015 #18
    No. Check your algebra.

20. Jan 9, 2015 #19

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Sorry, we would have $$-kT'(r) = \frac{RI^2 r}{2 \pi r_i^2 L}$$ right? But this still doesn't agree with the flux balance.

21. Jan 9, 2015 #20
    Who says? Multiply both sides by 2πrL and see what you get.

Chet

22. Jan 9, 2015 #21

joshmccraney

Gold Member

I must be missing something. The flux balance states ##-kT'(r) = R I^2 / (2 \pi r L)## yet the heat eq method states ##-kT'(r) = R I^2 r / (2 \pi r_i^2 L)##. These two are different. I must have made a mistake but I'm not seeing it.

Thanks so much for your help (and please continue)!

23. Jan 9, 2015 #22

joshmccraney

Gold Member

If the ##r_i^2## was simply ##r^2## then we would have agreeing equations.

24. Jan 9, 2015 #23
    The first equation is correct only at r = ri. The second equation is correct at all radial locations.

25. Jan 9, 2015 #24

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Can you elaborate here. I'm wondering what I have done wrong in the flux balance. It really looked right to me.

26. Jan 9, 2015 #25
    If the rate of heat generation within the wire is spatially uniform, what fraction of the heat is generated between r = 0 and arbitrary radial position r? What is the rate of heat generation within the wire per unit volume? What is the rate of heat generation between r = 0 and arbitrary radial position r?

Chet

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook