Heat Equation B.Cs: Solve & Determine Coefficients

In summary: Hi there,I am looking for help with solving a PDE. I have been told that there are two different Green's functions for two different boundary value problems. I am all but on expert on this, still I was under the impression every linear operator would have its own Green function, full stop.Any explanation would be so welcome as well.All the Best,Muzialis
muzialis
Hello there,

hope you are having a good one.

My problem is to solve the heat equtaion in cylindrical coordinates.
This has been done by others for me, so a closed form solution is available, please see attached (please note the problem is 1 - D due to initial conditions depending only on r).

My b.c. are as follows:
For all time, fixed temperature at the inner and outer radius of the hollow cylinder
At time= 0, all the cyclinder is uniformly at the same tempeature as the outer radius.

Using these conditions I should determine the coefficients Am and c in the solution, but I am unsure on how to do in relation to my b.c.s.
At time 0 my b.c. are discontinuous, which I am unable to replicate by any choice of the coefficients. Still I am sure they are legal, as I dealt long time with other cases where the initla temperature distribution was the dirac function.

Any hint would be the most appreciated, thank you very much

Muzialis

Attachments

• Heat Equation - cylindric coordinates - only radial dependance.doc
    15 KB · Views: 189
Physics news on Phys.org
Its me again.

I just forgot to mention I also found this other source, which I attach, about solving the PDE using Green's functions, which would cope with the discontinuous b.c. very nicely.

But I can not understand why there are two different Green's functions for two different boundary value problems. I am all but on expert on this, still i was under the impression every linear operator would have its own Green function, full stop.

Any explanation would be so welcome as well.

All the Best

Muzialis

Attachments

• lpde105.pdf
    53.7 KB · Views: 282
All,

I do hate being so molest, but still I was wondering if anybody had any help to give.

It would be relaly appreciated.

Thank you

Best Regards

Muzialis

Is this problem "interior" or "exterior"? That is, is your equation to be satisfied inside or outside the cylinder?

If inside, then an additional condition is that it be continuous at r= 0.

If outside, then an additional condition is that it must not "blow up" (go to infinity) as r goes to infinity.

HallsofIvy,

thank you for your post.

The equation is to be satisfied in the region a < r < b. The problem is moreover centrally simmetric.
Still I am unsure on how to proceed.

Kindest Regards

Muzialis

Then you should have boundary conditions on the two circle r= a and r= b.

HalfsofIvy,

many thanks for youe elucidation.

I think I understand what you say. Actually in my first post i describe the boundary conditions as

"My b.c. are as follows:
For all time, fixed temperature at the inner and outer radius of the hollow cylinder
At time= 0, all the cyclinder is uniformly at the same tempeature as the outer radius <..>".

My probelm though starts here.

All the best and many thanks for your time

Muzialis

Hi All,

well, it is me again.
Let me apologize for my stubbornness, still as they say, asking is never impolite.

could anybody forgive my insistence and provide me with a clue on my original post?

Thank you again and sincerely sorry for having to be this molest

All the Best

Muzialis

1. What is the heat equation and how does it relate to boundary conditions?

The heat equation is a mathematical model that describes the distribution of heat in a given system. It is important in fields such as physics and engineering, where understanding heat flow is crucial. Boundary conditions are specifications of the temperature or heat flux at the boundaries of a system, which are necessary for solving the heat equation.

2. How do I solve the heat equation with boundary conditions?

The heat equation can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, finite difference methods, or integral transforms. The specific approach depends on the complexity of the problem and the type of boundary conditions. It is important to carefully select an appropriate method and ensure that the solution satisfies the given boundary conditions.

3. What are the coefficients in the heat equation and how do I determine them?

The coefficients in the heat equation represent the thermal properties of the system, such as thermal conductivity and specific heat. These coefficients can be determined experimentally or estimated based on known values. In some cases, the coefficients may also need to be adjusted during the solution process to obtain an accurate solution.

4. What are the differences between different types of boundary conditions in the heat equation?

There are three main types of boundary conditions in the heat equation: Dirichlet, Neumann, and Robin. Dirichlet boundary conditions specify the temperature at the boundaries, Neumann boundary conditions specify the heat flux at the boundaries, and Robin boundary conditions are a combination of the two. The choice of boundary conditions depends on the physical situation and the desired outcome of the solution.

5. Can the heat equation with boundary conditions be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, the heat equation with boundary conditions is a highly versatile and useful tool for solving real-world problems related to heat flow. It has applications in fields such as thermodynamics, materials science, and geophysics. With the appropriate boundary conditions and coefficients, the heat equation can accurately model and predict heat distribution in various systems and scenarios.