1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat equation in 2dim

1. May 25, 2006 #1
    Im trying to solve the heat equation in 2dim on a plate.
    0=<x=<L, 0=<y=<L. With homogenous dirichlet conditions on the boundary and the initial condition:

With separation of variables i get the solution
    T(x,y,t)=\sum_{m=0}^\infty\sum_{n=0}^\infty B_{mn}*exp[\frac{-(m^2+n^2)\pi^2kt}{L^2}]*sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{m\pi y}{L}]

m,n integers and k the constant from the heat equation.

Now the initial condition determine the constants B_mn

B_{mn} = \frac{4T_0}{L^2}*\int_{0}^{L}\int_{0}^{L} sin[\frac{\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{\pi y}{L}] sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{n\pi y}{L}] dx dy

But an integral like
    \int_{0}^{L}sin\frac{\pi x}{L}sin\frac{m\pi x}{L}dx

is zero for m not equal to 1.
    So m=1 and n=1...???
    and with this i dont get a fourier series as the solution...
    What am i doing wrong ?
    Last edited: May 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Bmn= 0" is not an initial condition! Your initial condition is that
    [tex]T(x,y,0)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty B_{mn}sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{m\pi y}{L}]= T_0sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})sin(\frac{pi y}{L})[/tex]

Now, apply the Fourier integral to both sides of that.
  4. May 25, 2006 #3
    I never said that Bmn= 0 is an initial condition, i said that the integral is zero for m NOT equal to one, because of the orthogonality of sin-functions.

Im not sure what you mean by applying the Fourier integral, i have only used that with Fourier transforms.

This is how i get the expression for Bmn:
    I have the general solution

[tex]T(x,y,t)=\sum_{m=0}^\infty\sum_{n=0}^\infty B_{mn}*exp[\frac{-(m^2+n^2)\pi^2kt}{L^2}]*sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{n\pi y}{L}][/tex]

Then i expand the initial condition in the eigenfunctions

[tex](sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{n\pi y}{L}])_{m,n=1}^{\infty}=\Psi

The initial condition is

[tex]f(x,y)=T_0sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})sin(\frac{\pi y}{L})[/tex]

[tex]T(x,y,0)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty\sum_{m=0}^\infty B_{mn}sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{m\pi y}{L}]= f(x,y)[/tex]

I multiply with the eigenfunctions and integrate over the domin to get an expression for Bmn:

where the normalisation integral is

[tex](\Psi,\Psi) = \int_{0}^{L}\int_{0}^{L}sin^2[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]*sin^2[\frac{n\pi y}{L}] dxdy=L^2/4[/tex]

[tex](f,\Psi) = T_0*\int_{0}^{L}\int_{0}^{L} sin[\frac{\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{\pi y}{L}]*sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{n\pi y}{L}]dxdy[/tex]

this integral is

[tex](f,\Psi) = T_0\int_{0}^{L}sin[\frac{\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]dx\int_{0}^{L} sin[\frac{\pi y}{L}]*sin[\frac{n\pi y}{L}]dy[/tex]

but for m not equal to 1

[tex]\int_{0}^{L}sin[\frac{\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]dx=\frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{L}cos[\frac{(1-m) \pi x}{L}]dx+\int_{0}^{L}cos[\frac{(1+m)\pi x}{L}]dx=\frac{Lm*sin(m\pi)}{\pi-m^2\pi}=0[/tex]

and the same for the integral over y.
    Therefor m and n has to be 1 and i dont get a series solution!

Im probably doing some silly misstakes, can you find them?
    Last edited: May 26, 2006
  5. May 31, 2006 #4
    hmm, i was probably right from the beginning.
    I got confused because i had never solved a problem before where this happens.

Is it like this? :
    When you have a certain "frequency" as the initial condition you cant get a solution for later times as a superposition over other frequencies.
    Thats why in this case only the terms with m=1,n=1 survived in the sum.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?