Heat equation on a ring

The textbook states that this is not an easy task, and even if the kernel is greater than or equal to zero, it may not necessarily satisfy the criteria for being a good kernel. Additionally, the convolution formula for u(x,t) involves introducing a new variable and integrating, which makes it difficult to show directly. However, it may be possible to show indirectly by using the concept of periodization and comparing the heat kernel on the circle to the heat kernel on the real numbers. This may also involve defining and understanding the concept of Poisson summation. Ultimately, showing that the heat kernel is a good kernel is crucial for a successful seminar on the heat equation on the circle.
stripes

Homework Statement

I have to give a seminar to my math class about the heat equation on the ring. I will be introducing the heat kernel on the circle to the class, which is as follows:

[itex]H_{t} (x) = \sum ^{-\infty}_{\infty} e^{-4 \pi ^{2} n^{2} t} e^{2 \pi i n x} .[/itex]

I basically will decide what I am presenting to the class, so I don't have any "homework" questions in that sense. My questions stem from what I would like to present to the class.

After introducing the heat kernel on the circle, I will also state that if we are given an initial condition at time = 0, u(x, 0) = f(x), then the convolution

[itex]u(x, t) = \sum ^{-\infty}_{\infty} a_{n} e^{-4 \pi ^{2} n^{2} t} e^{2 \pi i n x} = (f \ast H_{t}) (x).[/itex]

How do I show u(x,t) = the convolution of f and H? Basically I would like to derive the formula but because the convolution involves introducing a new variable y, and then integrating w.r.t. it, I can't really "show" that this statement is true. How do I go about proving this?

I would also like to show that the heat kernel is a good kernel. The definition of a good kernel is given in the image I have attached. Now my textbook gives a proof of this. However, it is located in the next chapter. My seminar specifically says I am presenting on section 4.4, the heat equation on the circle. In section 4.4, it says I require the use of "celebrated Poisson summation" which is taken up in chapter 5. So strictly speaking, I am not required to show that H is a good kernel. But this is the "meat of the sandwich"; if I present this without a proof, I know I won't get a good mark.

I read the section in the following chapter. I contemplated using these tools to show it is a good kernel. First I would need to define the heat kernel on the real numbers, which appears to be a lot different than the one for a circle. Then I would need to introduce the concept of, and define the Poisson summation formula. This definition says that a Poisson summation of a function is called the periodization of that function. Then I would need to show that the heat kernel for the circle is a periodization of the heat kernel for the real numbers. Once I have these on the table, I can show that the heat kernel for the circle is a good kernel.

These above concepts are out of the scope of section 4.4, the section I am to present. Is there any way to show it is a good kernel without the use of the concepts in the above paragraph? The textbook states specifically in an exercise for chapter 4 that "The fact that the kernel Ht(x) is a good kernel ... is not easy to prove."

Also, the textbook constantly says that if a kernel is greater than or equal to zero, then (b) from the image attached is a consequence of (a). But wouldn't (b) be a consequence of (a) no matter what? Because if the kernel is integrable from (a), then it must be bounded. Isn't (b) a redundant criterion?

My seminar is tomorrow so I doubt I will get any answers in time. It's my fault for leaving things so late but I also have 3 assignments due tomorrow so there's not really enough time for anything in my life these days.

If anyone can help out, I would appreciate it. Even if you read this far, thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• good kernel.jpg
    good kernel.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 373
Physics news on Phys.org
I have not been able to attempt a solution as I am still confused about the concept of proving the heat kernel is a good kernel without the use of the concepts from the next chapter.

What is the "heat equation on a ring"?

The heat equation on a ring is a mathematical model used to describe the temperature distribution in a circular object. It takes into account factors such as the heat source, thermal conductivity, and boundary conditions to calculate the temperature at any point on the ring over time.

What are the assumptions made in the heat equation on a ring?

The heat equation on a ring assumes that the ring is perfectly circular and that heat is evenly distributed throughout the ring. It also assumes that there are no external heat sources and that the thermal conductivity is constant throughout the ring.

How is the heat equation on a ring solved?

The heat equation on a ring is typically solved using techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or finite difference methods. These methods involve breaking the problem into smaller parts and solving for the temperature at each point on the ring at a given time.

What are the applications of the heat equation on a ring?

The heat equation on a ring has many practical applications, such as predicting the temperature distribution in a circular object such as a tire or a pipe. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science to analyze heat transfer and thermal properties of various systems.

What are the limitations of the heat equation on a ring?

The heat equation on a ring is a simplified model and does not take into account factors such as convection or time-varying heat sources. It also assumes that the ring has uniform properties, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it may not be applicable to non-circular objects or objects with complex geometries.