Heat equation with Neumann BC

In summary, Johan attempted to solve the heat equation with a Fourier-Bessel approach but he failed to implement the boundary condition, which is a Neumann condition. Every textbook that he has available treats the corresponding Dirichlet problem but not the Neumann one. He summarized the problem and his findings so far in the hope that someone could show him how to solve the problem with Neumann boundary conditions. He believes that this is a standard result in many textbooks.
johan_ekh
Hi all,
I have tried to solve the heat equation with a Fourier-Bessel approach but I fail to implement the boundary condition, which is a Neumann condition. Every textbook that I have available treats the corresponding Dirichlet problem but not the Neumann one. Below I have tried to summarize the problem and my findings so far in the hope that someone could show me how to solve the problem with Neumann boundary conditions. Please be aware that my skills in solving PDEs with analytical methods are limited.

The problem is to calculate the temperature in a unit 2D disc as a function of time, starting with a known temperature distribution at time 0 (t=0) and with heat exiting through the boundary of the circle. Thus,

[tex]
\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} = a \left[ \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial r^2} + \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial u}{\partial r} + \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial \varphi^2} \right]
[/tex]

with boundary condition (BC)

[tex]
\frac{\partial u}{\partial n} +h(u-u_c)=0
[/tex]

where [tex] u_c [/tex] is the temperature of the surrounding material, and initial condition (IC)

[tex]
u(r,\varphi,t=0)=T_0
[/tex]

where we can assume that [tex] T_0 [/tex] is constant.

Separation of variables leads to 3 differential equations. We assume now also that the problem is axisymmetric leaving only 2 diff. eqs. according to

[tex] T'(t)=-a \lambda^2 T(t) [/tex]
[tex] r^2 R''(r) + r R'(r) + \lambda^2 r^2 R(r) - \mu R(r) =0 [/tex]

Solution to the first equation will be on the form

[tex]
T(t)=A e^{-a \lambda^2 t}
[/tex]

and by making the variable substitution [tex] x=\lambda r [/tex] the second equation turns in the well known Bessel equation with solutions according to

[tex]
X=c_1 J_0(x)
[/tex]

where [tex] J_0(x) [/tex] is a Bessel function of first kind and zero order. Thus, the solution is on the form

[tex]
u(r,t)=cJ_0(\lambda r) e^{-a \lambda^2 t}
[/tex]

I believe that this is a standard result in meny textbooks. Standard procedure in these books is then to proceed by explaining how to determine what values on [tex] \lambda [/tex] are valid and how the coefficients [tex] c_k [/tex] in the Bessel function are identified. This is pretty straight forward in the case of a fixed temperature on the boundary. But how is it done with the BC stated above? If someone could show me the steps, or point me to relevant literature, I would be very thankful.

Johan Ekh

Physics news on Phys.org
You are most of the way there, you just need to plug your proposed solution into the boundary condition. First of all, since we're dealing with the unit disk, the normal direction is r, so n=r. Secondly, you'll want to rid yourself of the pesky [tex]u_c[/tex] in the boundary condition. You can either make the substitution

[tex]v=u-u_c[/tex]

or just realize that you can add [tex]u_c[/tex] to your solution and it still solves the equation, so actually you have

[tex]u=c J_0(\lambda r) e^{-a \lambda ^2 t} + u_c [/tex] .

(I'm assuming you have solved the equations correctly. I take it that [tex]\mu[/tex] is the eigenvalue associated with the axial dependence and you set it to 0?) Anyway, now take your solution and plug it into your B.C.

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}+h(u-u_c)=c \lambda J_0'(\lambda r) e^{-a \lambda ^2 t}+h c J_0(\lambda r) e^{-a \lambda ^2 t}[/tex]

Evaluating at r=1 and canceling the time dependence gives
[tex]\lambda J_0'(\lambda)+h J_0(\lambda)=0[/tex]

Unfortunately, that's your condition for [tex]\lambda[/tex]. You can use the identity,

[tex]J_0'(\lambda)=-J_1(\lambda)[/tex]

which is found here:http://www.math.sfu.ca/~cbm/aands/page_361.htm
to get

[tex]\lambda J_1(\lambda)=h J_0(\lambda) [/tex].

This has many solutions [tex]\lambda_n[/tex] but they are not expressible in terms of elementary functions as far as I know, especially not with arbitrary h.

So now you have

[tex]u=\sum_n c_n J_0(\lambda_n r) e^{-a \lambda_n ^2 t} + u_c [/tex]

and you want to know the [tex]c_n[/tex] from the initial condition. That is you need

[tex]\sum_n c_n J_0(\lambda_n r) + u_c =T_0 [/tex] (*)

For this, you need some kind of orthogonality for the Bessel functions, which is found here:
http://www.math.sfu.ca/~cbm/aands/page_485.htm
Direct your attention to 11.4.5. Yours is the case a=h and b=1 (and [tex]\nu[/tex]=0 of course). Now you multiply both sides of (*) by [tex]r J_0(\lambda_m r)[/tex], integrate from 0 to 1 and use the orthogonality condition to find the coefficients. I will leave that to you, though.

Last edited:
Thank you dhris,
it works exactly as I want. I will continue with non-constant initial conditions and also a heat source term. Thus I might still run into some problems! In that case I will continue this thread. If I succeed in solving the problem completely I will give the solution in this thread in case anyone is interested.Johan

1. What is the heat equation with Neumann boundary conditions?

The heat equation with Neumann boundary conditions is a mathematical model that describes the flow of heat in a medium over time, taking into account the temperature at the boundaries of the medium. The equation is commonly used in physics and engineering to study heat transfer in various systems.

2. What are Neumann boundary conditions?

Neumann boundary conditions specify the behavior of the heat flow at the boundaries of a medium. They are described by the derivative of the temperature with respect to the normal direction at the boundary. In simpler terms, they represent the rate of heat flow into or out of the medium at its boundaries.

3. How do Neumann boundary conditions differ from Dirichlet boundary conditions?

While Neumann boundary conditions describe the rate of heat flow at the boundaries, Dirichlet boundary conditions specify the temperature at the boundaries of a medium. In other words, Neumann boundary conditions consider the heat flux, while Dirichlet boundary conditions consider the temperature itself.

4. What are some real-world applications of the heat equation with Neumann boundary conditions?

The heat equation with Neumann boundary conditions has various applications in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and meteorology. Some examples include studying heat transfer in building materials, analyzing the cooling of electronic devices, and predicting the weather.

5. How is the heat equation with Neumann boundary conditions solved?

The heat equation with Neumann boundary conditions can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, finite difference methods, and Green's functions. These methods involve breaking down the equation into simpler parts and using mathematical techniques to find a solution that satisfies the given boundary conditions.