1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Exchange

Tags:
  1. Nov 2, 2014 #1

rlc

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (c11p34) You pour 160.0 g of hot coffee at 75.0 oC into a 230.0- g glass cup at 24.0 oC. If they come to thermal equilibrium quickly, what is the final temperature (in oC, enter deg in asnwer box)? Assume no heat is lost to the surroundings.

2. Relevant equations
    (I don't even know, I've seen so many.)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've attempted this problem a couple times with different formulas, but none have worked.
    Can someone just tell me what equation to use, please?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose the final temperature is Tf. Then the coffee has cooled off to that temperature and the cup has heated up. They tell you no heat is lost, so apparently it's to do with heat. Where did the heat from the coffee go and where did the heat for the cup come from ?

4. Nov 2, 2014 #3

rlc

Thank you for replying! I actually tried another equation and found the correct answer:
    (mass coffee)(Temp coffee-Tf)(4.18 J/gC)=(mass glass)(Tf-temp glass)(0.840 J/gC)
    (160)(75-Tf)(4.18)=(230)(Tf-24)(0.840)
    Tf=63.57 deg

5. Nov 2, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's what we call a heat balance. Heat given off = heat taken up. And you did well to include the cp.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted