Optimizing DIY Air-to-Air Counterflow Heat Exchanger Size with Experimental Data

In summary, the conversation discusses the planning and testing of a DIY air-to-air counterflow heat exchanger. The outcome of the test showed that with a 5 degree temperature difference, the warm air outlet cooled down by 1.3 degrees. The question posed is what would happen if the length of the heat exchanger is doubled. It is determined that with increasing length, the temperature change would approach x/2.
Xalt
Hi
I am planning to make a DIY heat exchanger. It will be an air-to-air counterflow heatexchanger with equal air flow. I made a small test heat exchanger so I would be able to estimate the required size of the heat exchanger. I did a small experiment with the small exchanger. The outcome is that with a 5 degree (Celsius) temperature difference between the cold air inlet and the warm air inlet, the warm air outlet cools down 1.3 degrees. Since I have equal airflow this means the cold air would be warmed up 1.3 degrees. I have a 9 square cm heat exchange surface (6 cm long x 1.5 cm broad). The question now is: what happens if I would double the length of the heat exchanger? Any help will be appreciated!

Science news on Phys.org
Xalt said:
Since I have equal airflow this means the cold air would be warmed up 1.3 degrees.
Approximately, if the humidity is not too different.

With a temperature difference of x between the inlets, a temperature change of y and the length L of your heat exchanger:
Temperature change inside should be approximately linear within the length of the heat exchanger, that leads me to ##cy=L(x-y)## where c is a parameter that depends on the flow rate and other parameters that can stay constant here.

Using your values, I get c=6cm*(3.7K/1.3K)=17cm. That value roughly corresponds to a "typical length" in your problem, but independent of its interpretation we can plug it in the first equation and solve for y for different values of L:
$$y=x\frac{L}{c+L}$$
With L=12cm and the same airflow, I get a temperature change of 2.1 K.

I think that should be y=(x/2)*(L/(c+L))

You would need y ---> x/2 as L ---> infinity, no?

mikeph said:
I think that should be y=(x/2)*(L/(c+L))

You would need y ---> x/2 as L ---> infinity, no?

Thank you both for your replies. With a counter-flow heat exchanger, I think y--> x as L --> infinity; with a parallel flow heat exchanger the limit is indeed x/2

Xalt said:
Thank you both for your replies. With a counter-flow heat exchanger, I think y--> x as L --> infinity; with a parallel flow heat exchanger the limit is indeed x/2
Right.

1. What is a heat exchanger?

A heat exchanger is a device that transfers thermal energy between two or more fluids, often at different temperatures. It is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings to efficiently transfer heat from one fluid to another.

2. How do you calculate the heat transfer rate in a heat exchanger?

The heat transfer rate in a heat exchanger can be calculated using the formula Q = U x A x ∆T, where Q is the heat transfer rate, U is the overall heat transfer coefficient, A is the heat transfer surface area, and ∆T is the temperature difference between the two fluids.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a heat exchanger?

The efficiency of a heat exchanger can be affected by several factors, including the type of heat exchanger, the flow rate of the fluids, the temperature difference between the fluids, the heat transfer surface area, and the overall heat transfer coefficient.

4. How do you determine the overall heat transfer coefficient in a heat exchanger?

The overall heat transfer coefficient can be determined by considering the individual heat transfer coefficients for each fluid, as well as the thermal resistance of the heat exchanger walls. It can also be calculated using empirical correlations or by conducting experimental tests.

5. What are some common types of heat exchangers?

Some common types of heat exchangers include shell and tube, plate and frame, and finned tube heat exchangers. Other variations include double pipe, spiral, and air-cooled heat exchangers. The specific type of heat exchanger used will depend on the application and the desired heat transfer efficiency.