1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat exchanger calculations

1. Nov 10, 2014 #1
    Hi
    I am planning to make a DIY heat exchanger. It will be an air-to-air counterflow heatexchanger with equal air flow. I made a small test heat exchanger so I would be able to estimate the required size of the heat exchanger. I did a small experiment with the small exchanger. The outcome is that with a 5 degree (Celsius) temperature difference between the cold air inlet and the warm air inlet, the warm air outlet cools down 1.3 degrees. Since I have equal airflow this means the cold air would be warmed up 1.3 degrees. I have a 9 square cm heat exchange surface (6 cm long x 1.5 cm broad). The question now is: what happens if I would double the length of the heat exchanger? Any help will be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2014 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Approximately, if the humidity is not too different.

With a temperature difference of x between the inlets, a temperature change of y and the length L of your heat exchanger:
    Temperature change inside should be approximately linear within the length of the heat exchanger, that leads me to ##cy=L(x-y)## where c is a parameter that depends on the flow rate and other parameters that can stay constant here.

Using your values, I get c=6cm*(3.7K/1.3K)=17cm. That value roughly corresponds to a "typical length" in your problem, but independent of its interpretation we can plug it in the first equation and solve for y for different values of L:
    $$y=x\frac{L}{c+L}$$
    With L=12cm and the same airflow, I get a temperature change of 2.1 K.

4. Nov 10, 2014 #3
    I think that should be y=(x/2)*(L/(c+L))

You would need y ---> x/2 as L ---> infinity, no?

5. Nov 10, 2014 #4
    Thank you both for your replies. With a counter-flow heat exchanger, I think y--> x as L --> infinity; with a parallel flow heat exchanger the limit is indeed x/2

6. Nov 10, 2014 #5

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook