Can a Heat Balance be Achieved with Constant Condensation Temperature?

In summary: Well, I'm sure you know that water boils at a constant temperature of 100C while you are adding heat.In summary, adding heat to water will cause it to boil at a constant temperature.
Kqwert

Homework Statement

If you have a heat exchanger with a cooling fluid and a fluid that condenses, and the fluid condenses over the entire heat exchanger i.e. its temperature is constant. How can one make a heat balance in such a case, when dT is 0 for the condensing fluid but not the other? i.e. (m*Cp*Dt)fluid 1 = (m*Cp*Dt)fluid 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Kqwert said:

Homework Statement

If you have a heat exchanger with a cooling fluid and a fluid that condenses, and the fluid condenses over the entire heat exchanger i.e. its temperature is constant. How can one make a heat balance in such a case, when dT is 0 for the condensing fluid but not the other? i.e. (m*Cp*Dt)fluid 1 = (m*Cp*Dt)fluid 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You are aware that enthalpy changes at constant temperature for a phase change of a single component substance, correct? You've heard of the heat of vaporization/condensation, correct?

Chestermiller said:
You are aware that enthalpy changes at constant temperature for a phase change of a single component substance, correct? You've heard of the heat of vaporization/condensation, correct?
I wasn't aware that the enthalpy changes at constant temperature for a phase change.

Kqwert said:
I wasn't aware that the enthalpy changes at constant temperature for a phase change.
Are you taking thermodynamics now, or have you had it yet?

Chestermiller said:
Are you taking thermodynamics now, or have you had it yet?
I haven´t had it yet. We had a small brief on it in the course I am taking, but maybe I didn't pay enough attention.

Kqwert said:
I haven´t had it yet. We had a small brief on it in the course I am taking, but maybe I didn't pay enough attention.
Well, I'm sure you know that water boils at a constant temperature of 100C while you are adding heat.

1. What is a heat exchanger?

A heat exchanger is a device that transfers thermal energy from one fluid to another without the two fluids coming into direct contact. This process is used to either heat or cool a fluid for various industrial and commercial applications.

2. How does a heat exchanger work?

A heat exchanger works by using a series of tubes, plates, or coils to create a barrier between two fluids. One fluid flows on one side of the barrier while the other fluid flows on the other side. The heat from one fluid is transferred to the other through the barrier, resulting in a change in temperature or phase of the fluids.

3. What is the purpose of condensation in a heat exchanger?

Condensation is the process in which a vapor turns into a liquid due to a decrease in temperature or increase in pressure. In a heat exchanger, condensation is used to transfer heat from a hot vapor to a cooler liquid, resulting in the vapor condensing into a liquid and releasing its heat to the other fluid.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of a heat exchanger during condensation?

The efficiency of a heat exchanger during condensation can be affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the two fluids, the flow rate of the fluids, the surface area of the heat exchanger, and the type of heat transfer surface used.

5. What are the main types of heat exchanger designs used for condensation?

The main types of heat exchanger designs used for condensation are shell and tube, plate, and finned tube heat exchangers. Each design has its own advantages and is used for different applications based on factors such as cost, efficiency, and maintenance requirements.