Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Exchanger/Heat Sink

  1. Nov 27, 2010 #1
    Hello Guys,

    What is the difference between these two, Heat Exchanger and Heat Sink?


  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2010 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Welcome to PF.

    A "heat sink" can be a specific object that dissipates heat (a metal block with fins) or can be used as a general term describing anything that absorbs or dissipates heat. Technically, it is supposed to be a heat reservoir. Depending on the context, the colloquial usage may not be technically accurate. A heat exchanger is any device that exchanges heat between two mediums.

    For example, in engineering a heat exchanger might be a shell that's filled with water with tubes of another stream of water in it. The water itself (that is receiving the heat) would technically be the heat sink.
  4. Nov 27, 2010 #3
    Thanks for reply.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Heat Exchanger/Heat Sink
  1. Heat Exchanger (Replies: 13)