Solving Heat Exchanger Problem: Finding # of Tubes in Bundle

In summary, the conversation is about designing a tube-in-shell steam condenser and calculating the necessary number of tubes in the bundle to keep the Reynolds number low enough. The problem arises when the calculated number of tubes is much higher than the allowed limit. The expert suggests that the mistake may be in the calculation of the velocity of the cooling water, as the total area of the bundle needs to be taken into account. They provide a formula for calculating the total area and suggest using it to recalculate the velocity and ultimately find the correct number of tubes needed.
cwj8820
Okay, I'm having trouble with a heat transfer HW problem. We are designing a tube-in-shell steam condenser.

We are given:
[itex]\dot{m}[/itex]steam = 4.38kg/s
Tsteam = 378K
the steam is saturated 90%
Tc of cooling water = 293.15K
Th of cooling water = 296.5K

For the tubes in the bundle:
Inner diameter = 2.16cm
Outer diameter = 2.67cm
Remax = 10,000

The problem I'm having is in calculating the necessary number of tubes in the bundle to keep the Re low enough

I started by calculating the heat duty for the condensing steam:
hf = 438 kJ/kg
hfg = 2245 kJ/kg
h1 = 438 + (0.90 * 2245) = 2458 kJ/kg
h2 = 438 kJ/kg
Δh = 2458 - 438 = 2020 kJ/kg
Q = 4.38 * 2020 kJ/kg ≈ 8850 kJ/s = 8850 kW

Next, I calculated the necessary mass flow of the cooling water:
Tc = 293.15K
Th = 296.5K
ΔT = (296.5-293.15) = 3.35K
Cp = 4.18 kJ/(kg*K)
8850 kJ/s = m * Cp * ΔT
8850 kJ/s = m * 4.18 kJ/(kg*K) * 3.35K
[itex]\dot{m}[/itex]water = 632kg/s

After I found [itex]\dot{m}[/itex]water I tried to calculate the maximum velocity in one tube based on the maximum reynolds number. This is where I think I went wrong. This is what I did.
Remax = 10,000
L = Inner diameter = 2.16cm = 0.0216m
μwater = 1.002 * 10-3 kg/m*s
ρwater = 998kg/m3
vwater = (Re * μ)/(ρ * L)
vwater = (10,000 * 1.002*10-3) / ( 998kg/m3 * 0.0216m)
vwater = 0.46m/s

I thought that the velocity seemed pretty low, but I went even further to calculate the necessary number of tubes in the bundle:
[itex]\dot{m}[/itex]water = 632kg/s
vwater = 0.46m/s
ρwater = 998kg/m3
Arequired = [itex]\dot{m}[/itex]water/[ρwater * vwater]
Arequired = 632kg/s / [998kg/m * 0.46m/s]
Arequired ≈ 1.38m2 = 13,800cm

Aone tube = (pi/4)*(2.16cm)2 = 3.66cm2

So the required number of tubes Nt would be
Nt = (13,800cm2)/(3.662) ≈ 3770

This number that I'm getting is way beyond the number of tubes were are allowed to use, which supposed to be in the hundreds. I feel like my mistake is somewhere in my calculation of the velocity, but I've double and triple checked and can't find my mistake. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem is that you didn't take into account the total area of the bundle of tubes. The total area of a tube-in-shell condenser is actually the sum of the inner and outer diameters of the tubes. So you need to calculate the total area of the bundle instead of just the area of one tube. The total area of the bundle can be calculated as:Atotal = Nt * (pi/4) * (Douter2 - Dinner2)Where Nt is the number of tubes, Douter is the outer diameter of the tubes, and Dinner is the inner diameter of the tubes.Then you can calculate the velocity of the cooling water in the bundle using this equation:Vwater = \dot{m}water / [Atotal * ρwater]This should give you a much more reasonable velocity that you can use to calculate the number of tubes necessary to keep the Reynolds number below 10,000.

1. How do I calculate the number of tubes in a heat exchanger bundle?

To calculate the number of tubes in a heat exchanger bundle, you will need to know the heat transfer area, tube diameter, and pitch distance. You can then use the formula: Number of tubes = (Heat transfer area)/(π x Tube diameter x Pitch distance).

2. What is the purpose of finding the number of tubes in a heat exchanger bundle?

The number of tubes in a heat exchanger bundle is important in determining the overall heat transfer capacity and efficiency of the exchanger. It also helps in designing and sizing the exchanger for specific heat transfer requirements.

3. How does the number of tubes affect the performance of a heat exchanger?

The number of tubes in a heat exchanger bundle can affect the overall heat transfer rate and pressure drop. Generally, a higher number of tubes can lead to a higher heat transfer rate, but also an increase in pressure drop. This is because more tubes mean more surface area for heat transfer, but also more resistance to flow.

4. What are the factors that can affect the number of tubes in a heat exchanger bundle?

The number of tubes in a heat exchanger bundle can be affected by the desired heat transfer rate, type and properties of the fluids involved, design constraints, and cost considerations. Different heat exchanger designs and configurations can also impact the number of tubes required.

5. Can the number of tubes in a heat exchanger bundle be changed after it has been designed?

In most cases, the number of tubes in a heat exchanger bundle cannot be easily changed after it has been designed and constructed. Any changes would require significant modifications to the exchanger, which can be costly and time-consuming. It is therefore important to carefully calculate and determine the number of tubes needed during the design phase.