1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat exchanger selection

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    I'm in need of a specific heat exchanger (a quench cooler). It needs to cool fast (in seconds) and it needs to cool a lot (hundreds of degrees).

The coolant is water (making steam). The other side of the heat exchanger is a gas which can be compared to an exhaust gas: there are particles (aerosols), water (which will condense) and permanent gases. Inlet temperature is well above water's boiling point, (>250 deg C) so no water is present in liquid form when it enters. Exit temperature is room temperature, so a lot will have condensed. the aerosols are expected to make everything dirty in no-time, so cleaning the heat exchanger should be easy.

I know that often quench coolers are a type of flash vessel, that doesn't do a lot of heat exchanging. A quench tower (direct contact between coolant and gas) is also no option for me. I need to recover the heat, and keep the gas pressurized.

Question: where can I find a method to select the heat exchanger? To my surprise, Perry's handbook doesn't have a "heat exchanger selection", wikipedia only describes a lot of heat exchangers...

I hope somebody can point me to a proper selection method. (Can also be a book or journal article - I have access to both in abundance). A selection method would not solve the question, but would enable me to do that myself... teaching me how to fish, rather than giving me that one fish. :-)

Of course, there's nothing wrong with answering the technical question here.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2011 #2
    Last edited: May 14, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook