Calculating Heat Exchange Surface for Fluid Flow

In summary, the problem involves a heat exchanger where fluid comes in at one temperature and comes out at a higher temperature, with heat being exchanged with steam at a constant temperature. The user wants to know the surface area of the exchanger, but since the fluid temperature changes, they are unsure which value to use in the formula. The usual approach is to take the log mean temperature difference, but in this case, with the constant steam temperature, the formula breaks down. The user then considers deriving the dependence of heat transfer on position, but this ultimately leads back to the LMTD. The use of LMTD is sensitive in this case, as the steam temperature is constant, but it is not a concern since the fluid temperature will
dRic2
Gold Member
Fluid comes in at ##T_1## and comes out at ##T_2## and I know that heat is exchanged with steam at constant ##T_{steam}##.

If I want to know the Surface of the exchanger then

##US(T_{steam}-T_{fluid}) = \dot m_{fluid} cp_{fluid} (T_2-T_1)##

My question is, since ##T_{fluid}## changes, which value of ##T_{fluid} ##should I use in the above formula?

PS: Since I don't know the surface, I don't know how the exchanges is designed so I have really know clue on what to do

Engineering news on Phys.org
But how do I use LMTD if the steam remains at constant T? Does it make any difference? Or should I just do ##LMTD = \frac {(T_2 - T_{steam})-(T_1 - T_{steam})} {ln \frac {T_2-T_{steam}} {T_1 - T_{steam}}}##?

Yep

Thank you! :)

Excuse me, what if ##T_2 ≈ T_{steam}##? The above formula breaks because ## ln \frac {{T_2} - {T_{steam}}} {T_1 - T_{steam}} = -\infty##

Btw, I check how LMTD is derived for countercurrent heat exchanger... I don't know if I can apply it if the steam remains at the same T during the exchange.

If temperatures are equal, no heat transfer takes place. Just like the expression says. Not very realistic: in reality there is always a non-zero approach.

The final temperatures are equal, but the fluid comes in at a lower temperature. The heat transfer is maximum at the beginning and zero at the end. I need a mean value, so I need a mean value of temperature. But I can't use the above formula.

Say the fluid comes in at 100 °C and comes out at nearly 200°C (let's say 199°C). To heat it up I use steam (at equilibrium) at 200°C so it condenses and it remains at 200°C. How am I suppose to find the surface of the exchanger ?

You can ask someone to dig out the equipment drawings :smile:

From the temperatures it appears that the surface area is at least $$Q\over U\; {\rm LMTD}$$ with lmtd = 21.5 for 1 degree and 8.7 for .001 degree approach.

BvU said:
with lmtd = 21.5 for 1 degree and 8.7 for .001 degree approach.

yeah, LMTD is very sensitive in this very case, so I was thinking that maybe it is not the best approach here.

I have a test in two days, so I can't think to much about it now, later I will try to derive the dependence of Q from x:
##dQ = h(T_{steam} - T(x))\pi Ddx## and see if it leads to something... but I'm not to sure it will be of any help

dRic2 said:
yeah, LMTD is very sensitive in this very case, so I was thinking that maybe it is not the best approach here.

I have a test in two days, so I can't think to much about it now, later I will try to derive the dependence of Q from x:
##dQ = h(T_{steam} - T(x))\pi Ddx## and see if it leads to something... but I'm not to sure it will be of any help
It will lead to the LMTD. Why are you saying that there is sensitivity of the use of LMTD when the steam temperature is constant? In the example you gave, you are not going to let the fluid temperature approach the steam temperature to 1C since that would require too large a heat transfer area.

Likes dRic2
dRic2 said:
I have a test in two days,
I hope it went well -- and I guess there's no connection between the test and this thread...

Is this a theoretical exercise ? If not, is your expedition UTCWAP (up the creek without a paddle) because it is based on plant measurements ? Could you post a sketch of the actual setup ?

Likes dRic2
BvU said:
I hope it went well
Thanks, I'm waiting for the results

BvU said:
and I guess there's no connection between the test and this thread...

Is this a theoretical exercise ?

It's just something I was thinking about.

Chestermiller said:
It will lead to the LMTD.

Yeah, but I had to check myself :)

Chestermiller said:
Why are you saying that there is sensitivity of the use of LMTD when the steam temperature is constant?

No reason. Sorry for the trouble. I tend to be anxious before a test and I don't actually think straight. I've checked with my mind clear today and I got it immidiately.

Sorry, and thanks for the replies!

Likes BvU

1. What is the purpose of calculating heat exchange surface for fluid flow?

The purpose of calculating heat exchange surface for fluid flow is to determine the surface area required for efficient heat transfer between a fluid and its surroundings. This is important in many industrial and scientific applications, such as designing heat exchangers for thermal management systems.

2. How is the heat exchange surface area calculated?

The heat exchange surface area is typically calculated using the following formula: A = Q/(U x ΔT), where A is the surface area, Q is the heat transfer rate, U is the overall heat transfer coefficient, and ΔT is the temperature difference between the fluid and its surroundings.

3. What factors affect the heat exchange surface area?

The heat exchange surface area is affected by several factors, including the type of fluid, the flow rate, the temperature difference, and the desired heat transfer rate. The properties of the fluid, such as its viscosity and thermal conductivity, also play a role in determining the required surface area.

4. How does the type of fluid impact the heat exchange surface area?

The type of fluid can significantly impact the heat exchange surface area due to its physical properties. For example, a fluid with high thermal conductivity will require a smaller surface area compared to a fluid with low thermal conductivity, as it can transfer heat more efficiently.

5. Can computer simulations be used to calculate the heat exchange surface area?

Yes, computer simulations can be used to calculate the heat exchange surface area. These simulations use mathematical models and algorithms to simulate the fluid flow and heat transfer processes, providing accurate and efficient calculations of the required surface area for a given system.