1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat flow equation: solid

1. Dec 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If temperature T in a solid is constant over any x,y plane show that the temperature and heat flow Q normal to x,y planes both satisfy the equation:
    del^2 T=D dT/dt where D is a constant.

How would you expect the differential equations to be modified if it were necessary to take account of the finite speed at which mechanical energy is transmitted in a solid?

2. Relevant equations
    J= K gradT
    div J + C dT/dt =0

3. The attempt at a solution
    It's easy to combine the two equations above to get the first part of the solution. However I don't reallty have a clue about the second part. I think the key point is that we're dealing with a solid not a gas like I'm used to, but I don't know what to do next.

Maybe the finite speed puts a delay in the heat flux occuring relative to the gradient existing, but I'm not sure how to make this exact.

Any help appreciated,
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted