How do you determine the u-factor of a window assembly?

In summary, determining the u-factor of a window assembly is more complicated than for a wall due to the additional path in parallel through the frame. To calculate the overall thermal resistance, the same rules as for an electrical circuit can be applied, taking into account the different areas of the frame and glass. For a 1" thick window with ¼” double pane glass and ½” of argon gas between them, the u-factor can be calculated using U=1/Σr, where each thermal resistance is calculated by multiplying the material's thermal resistance by its thickness in meters. The objective of thermally broken frames is to reduce heat flow and improve overall thermal performance, particularly for metal framed windows where condensation can occur without a
CarbonNeutral
How do you determine the u-factor of a window assembly? I understand that the u-factor is reciprocal of the sum of resistance (U=1/Σr) for wall assembles, but I’m unable to find any relevant arithmetic for windows. I understand that heat flow rates vary between the center of glass and frame, and that u-value of windows is representative of a whole system, but is there not an arithmetic means to determine the u-value at the center of the window? For example, let’s say I have a ¼” double pane glass with a ½” of argon gas between them (1” total thickness). What is the u-value of the glass at the center? Do I use U=1/Σr? Is that correct?

Science news on Phys.org
A wall comprises several elements "in series" (eg the heat flows through plaster, then brick, then insulation etc). That's why you can add the thermal resistance.

In the case of a window it's more complicated. The glass part is similar (eg You have glass, argon, glass "in series") however there is another path in "parallel" through the frame. See equivalent electrical diagram attached. To find the overall thermal resistance you would apply the same rules that you would for calculating the equivalent resistance of an electrical circuit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_and_parallel_circuits).

However there is an additional complication. The values you have for the thermal resistance are probably quoted "per square meter". So you have to take into account that the frame and glass have different areas.

If you have already calculated the thermal resistance of the glass part "per square meter" then one way is you use an "area weighted average" to arrive at the thermal resistance "per square meter" for the combination.

In more complicated cases you have to calculate the actual resistance of each part by multiplying by the actual area of that part, then doing the series/parallel calculations and then finally dividing the end result by the total area to get back to an overall thermal resistance "per square meter". Just bear in mind that the end result is only valid if the ratio of frame to glass stays roughly the same. Clearly if you had a very small window that was all frame and no glass you couldn't use the same figure "per square meter" for the thermal resistance to calculate the heat loss.

Attachments

• Thermal Resistance.jpg
    Thermal Resistance.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 368
So just to answer this bit...

let’s say I have a ¼” double pane glass with a ½” of argon gas between them (1” total thickness). What is the u-value of the glass at the center? Do I use U=1/Σr? Is that correct?

In short Yes...

Google can find the thermal resistance of each material but it's specified "per meter thickness" so...

Work out the actual thermal resistance of each part by multiplying the thermal resistance of the material by it's thickness in meters.

Add them together eg..

Rtotal = Rglass + Rargon + Rglass

This gives you the thermal resistance for the 1" thickness.

Take the reciprocal to give the U Value.

Experts will complain it's more complicated because I have ignored surface effects. Coatings are very important these days to the performance of glass sealed units.

Last edited:
This helps tremendously. I take it that the objective to thermally broken frames is to reduce the heat flow and improve the overall thermal performance. Let me attempt to apply this information and I may have more questions pertaining to this thread.

I take it that the objective to thermally broken frames is to reduce the heat flow and improve the overall thermal performance.

Yes.

It's particularly important for metal framed windows. Without a thermal break you can also get condensation on the metal frame inside.

1. What is the u-factor and why is it important in understanding heat flow?

The u-factor, also known as the overall heat transfer coefficient, is a measure of how well a material or system conducts heat. It is important in understanding heat flow because it helps determine how much heat will transfer through a material or system from one side to the other.

2. How is the u-factor calculated?

The u-factor is calculated by taking into account the thermal conductivity of the material, the thickness of the material, and the surface area of the material. It is also affected by other factors such as air flow, surface emissivity, and temperature difference.

3. What is the difference between u-factor and R-value?

R-value is the inverse of the u-factor and measures the resistance of a material to heat transfer. A higher R-value means better insulation. U-factor, on the other hand, measures the rate of heat transfer. A lower u-factor means better insulation.

4. How does the u-factor of windows impact energy efficiency?

The u-factor of windows is an important factor in energy efficiency because windows are one of the main sources of heat loss in a building. A lower u-factor means that less heat will transfer through the windows, resulting in lower energy bills and a more comfortable indoor temperature.

5. What are the best ways to improve the u-factor of a building?

The u-factor of a building can be improved by using materials with lower thermal conductivity, increasing the thickness of insulation, and minimizing air leakage through proper sealing and weatherstripping. Installing energy-efficient windows and doors can also significantly improve the u-factor of a building.