Understanding Heat Flow Between Concentric Cylinders

In summary, The rate of heat flow across a slab is given by the formula P = (k*A*T)/D, where k is the thermal conductivity, A is the cross sectional medium, T is the temperature difference, and P is power. For a lab using two concentric cylinders, the formula for heat flow is P = [(2*pi)*L*k*T] / ln(b/a), where L is the length of the cylinders, b is the radius of the outer cylinder, and a is the radius of the inner cylinder. This formula is similar to the formula for electric field between two cylinders, with the area and distance variables adjusted accordingly. The process for deriving this formula involves using the constant J, which can be represented as -\
bemigh
Hey everyone...
I think I am not picking up on something here...
The rate of heat flow across a slab is:
P = (k*A*T)/D
where k is the thermal conductivity of the medium,
A is the cross sectional medium
and T is the temperature difference
and P is power...

Now.. .for my lab, I am using to concentric cylinders...

and I have to derive this expression for the heat flow between two concentric cylinders:
P = [(2*pi)*L*k*T] / ln(b/a)
where L is the length of the cylinders, and b is the radius of the outer cyliner, and a is the radius of the inner cylinder...

Now the lab is saying that the mathematics is essentially the same as for the electric field between two cylinders, and the heat flow is analogous to the electric flux... but i can't see how that helps me...

My thinking is this... the area A becomes the area of a cylinder, 2*pi*r*L, and D becomes r... but how can I possibly integrate from b to a, because now my r's will cancel?? any help is appreciated...
Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming you have a constant J.
[tex]J = -\kappa A \nabla T[/tex]
[tex]J = -\kappa (2 \pi r L) \frac{\partial T}{\partial r}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dr}{r} = -\kappa (2 \pi L) dT / J[/tex]
[tex]\ln(b/A) = -\kappa (2 \pi L) \Delta T / J[/tex]
[tex]J = -\kappa (2 \pi L) \Delta T / \ln(b/A)[/tex]

thanks a lot for your help,
PS, how do i type that script you use for your reply?

Last edited:

1. What is heat flow between concentric cylinders?

Heat flow between concentric cylinders is the transfer of thermal energy from one cylinder to another, when they are placed one inside the other. This process occurs due to a temperature difference between the two cylinders.

2. How does heat flow between concentric cylinders occur?

Heat flow between concentric cylinders occurs through conduction, which is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects with different temperatures. The heat energy is transferred from the hotter cylinder to the colder one, until they reach thermal equilibrium.

3. What factors affect heat flow between concentric cylinders?

The rate of heat flow between concentric cylinders depends on several factors, including the temperature difference between the cylinders, the thermal conductivity of the materials, the thickness and surface area of the cylinders, and the presence of any insulating materials between them.

4. What is the equation for calculating heat flow between concentric cylinders?

The equation for calculating heat flow between concentric cylinders is Q = (2πkL(T2-T1))/ln(r2/r1), where Q is the heat flow rate, k is the thermal conductivity, L is the length of the cylinders, T1 and T2 are the temperatures of the inner and outer cylinders, and r1 and r2 are the radii of the inner and outer cylinders, respectively.

5. How can understanding heat flow between concentric cylinders be applied in real life?

Understanding heat flow between concentric cylinders is important in various engineering and industrial applications, such as in heat exchangers, refrigeration systems, and pipe insulation. It also has implications in geothermal energy systems and the design of thermal barriers for buildings.