1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat flux in 3D

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    Hello everyone,

I have this setady state, heat transfer problem; I hope you can help me with it.
    I have flux source of 400 W/m² (a lamp), and i want to calculate the heat flux passing through a surface arbitrarily placed and oriented in the space. There is air in between. How can i do this?

I thought that I could use ∫∫(-k∇T)*(n dS)
    But i dont know what ∇T is....

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2013 #2
    That will give you the answer once you've found T. Finding T involves solving the heat equation with a local heat source. You'll need some more boundary conditions to do this, e.g. what are the temperatures of the walls?

If your geometry is simply you can solve for T analytically then differentiate to find your heat flux through a surface.

If not, you'll need some software.

4. Sep 24, 2013 #3
    Hi mikeph,

My surface is simple, is a square. Is it possible to use this information to solve for T? Can you explain how can I do this?

Thanks

5. Sep 24, 2013 #4
    If the heat source is inside the surface then it's just 400 W/m^2, this is from energy conservation using the steady state assumption.

If you have a constant temperature distribution then the heat being added inside the box (400) must equal the heat leaving through the walls, otherwise the temperature of the box would have to increase which would introduce a time variation.

6. Sep 24, 2013 #5
    I really appreciate your help mikeph.
    But I have problems visualizing the solution, could you provide simple example?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook