Calculating Work & Displacement of a Piston w/ Fuel Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between internal energy, work, and heat in a combustion chamber. The question asks about the amount of work that can be done by the piston and the distance it moves while pushing with a force of 5000N. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the efficiency using the equation e=w/QH, but the incorrect value for work was used. Another equation relating U, W, and Q should be used instead.
nlsed

Homework Statement

The Internal energy of fuel in a combustion chamber increases by 75J due to 130J of heating. How much work can be done by the piston? How far does the piston move while pushing with 5000N of force?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since they gave us the info to find efficiency i divided 75J by 130J and got 57.7% eff. I plugged that into (e= w/QH) and got work = 75.01J and i plugged it into w=F *(delta x) and got .015m. I'm not sure if this is right, but the units seem to be correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
nlsed said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Since they gave us the info to find efficiency i divided 75J by 130J and got 57.7% eff. I plugged that into (e= w/QH) and got work = 75.01J and i plugged it into w=F *(delta x) and got .015m. I'm not sure if this is right, but the units seem to be correct.

Not quite.

As you said, efficiency is
e = w/QH

However, you have used ΔU, not w, to calculate e=57.7%. So that's incorrect.

What is another equation that relates U, W, and Q? It should be in your textbook, early in the section or chapter on thermodynamics.

I would like to provide a more detailed explanation and justification for the solution provided in the attempt.

Firstly, it is important to understand the concept of work and displacement in this scenario. Work is defined as the energy transferred to or from an object by a force acting on the object. In this case, the work done by the piston is equal to the force applied (5000N) multiplied by the displacement of the piston (delta x). This work is done by the piston on the fuel, causing it to increase in internal energy.

Next, we need to consider the efficiency of this process. Efficiency is a measure of how well energy is converted from one form to another. In this case, the efficiency is given as 57.7%, meaning that only 57.7% of the energy input (130J) is converted into work output (75J). This can be expressed mathematically as:

Efficiency = Work output / Energy input

Therefore, we can rearrange the equation to solve for work output:

Work output = Efficiency * Energy input

Substituting the values, we get work output = 57.7% * 130J = 75.01J. This matches the value calculated in the attempt.

Now, to calculate the displacement of the piston, we can use the equation mentioned earlier: work = force * displacement. Rearranging the equation to solve for displacement, we get:

Displacement = Work / Force

Substituting the values, we get displacement = 75.01J / 5000N = 0.015m. This also matches the value calculated in the attempt.

In conclusion, the work done by the piston is 75.01J and the displacement of the piston is 0.015m. These values are consistent with the given information and the calculations are correct. It is important to note that this is a simplified calculation and there may be other factors that can affect the work and displacement, such as friction and the specific design of the piston and combustion chamber.

What is work?

Work is the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance that the object moves in the direction of the force. In other words, it is the energy transferred to an object by using a force to move it.

How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance that the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

What is displacement?

Displacement is the change in position of an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (how far the object has moved) and direction (the direction in which the object has moved).

How is displacement calculated?

Displacement is calculated by subtracting the initial position of an object from its final position. The formula for displacement is Δx = xf - xi, where Δx is displacement, xf is the final position, and xi is the initial position.

How do you calculate the work and displacement of a piston with fuel energy?

The work and displacement of a piston with fuel energy can be calculated by using the formula W = P * A * Δx, where W is work, P is pressure, A is the cross-sectional area of the piston, and Δx is the displacement of the piston. The fuel energy is converted into pressure, which pushes the piston and causes it to move a certain distance, resulting in work and displacement.