Heat gained and lost by aluminium and water in thermal equilibrium

In summary, the physicist pours 100g of 100'C water into a 20g aluminium cup containing 50g of 20'C water. The final equilibrium temperature is 71.847. Using the equations Q=mc(dt), the amount of heat lost by the hot water is -11784.8, the amount of heat gained by the aluminium is 11784.8, and the amount of heat gained by the cold water is 10851.57.
hkor

Homework Statement

A physicist pours 100g of water at 100'C into a 20g aluminium cup which already contains 50g of water at 20'C. The final equilibrium temperature of the water is 71.847.
C(water)=4186J/kgC
C(aluminium)=900J/kgC

1. the amount of heat lost by the hot water
2. the amount of heat gained by the aluminium
3. the amount of heat gained by the cold water

Homework Equations

Q=mc(dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to answer them but really have no clue if the answers I am getting are right or if I am even using the correct approach because we weren't given answers or solutions

1: Q=(100e-3)(4186)(71.847-100)=-11784.8
2. I am really unsure about how to do this. Is it relevant that we don't know the initial temperature of the aluminium or can we assume it is in equilibrium with the water inside?
3. Q=(50e-3)(4186)((71.847-20)= 10851.57

Any help would be great, and/or if you wouldn't mind checking my answers. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
yep, looks good. I get the same answers as you do. And for question 2), you have the right idea. You assume that the aluminium is initially in equilibrium with the water inside. So you've got the initial temperature, and using a similar reasoning can give you the final temperature.

1. How does heat transfer occur between aluminium and water in thermal equilibrium?

Heat transfer between aluminium and water in thermal equilibrium occurs through conduction, which is the transfer of heat energy through direct contact between two objects with different temperatures. In this case, heat flows from the hotter object (aluminium) to the colder object (water) until they reach the same temperature.

2. What factors affect the amount of heat gained and lost by aluminium and water in thermal equilibrium?

The amount of heat gained and lost by aluminium and water in thermal equilibrium is affected by the initial temperature difference between the two objects, the thermal conductivity of the materials, and the surface area of contact between them.

3. How does the specific heat capacity of aluminium and water impact their heat gain and loss in thermal equilibrium?

The specific heat capacity of a material is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of the material by 1 degree Celsius. Aluminium has a lower specific heat capacity compared to water, meaning it requires less heat energy to raise its temperature. This results in aluminium gaining and losing heat at a faster rate compared to water in thermal equilibrium.

4. Can heat lost by aluminium and water in thermal equilibrium be used for other purposes?

Yes, the heat lost by aluminium and water in thermal equilibrium can be used for other purposes, such as heating a room or generating electricity. This is known as waste heat recovery and is an important concept in energy conservation.

5. How does the process of thermal equilibrium impact the temperature of aluminium and water?

In thermal equilibrium, the temperature of aluminium and water will eventually become the same. This is because heat transfer will continue until both objects reach the same temperature. Once equilibrium is reached, the temperature of both objects will remain constant unless there is a change in external factors.