Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat generated by friction

1. Aug 15, 2007 #1
    Hi guys,

I have a circular disk on the end of a rotating shaft. The disk is pressed into another plate and is rubbing together making friction. I need to know how much heat is going to be generated by the friction.

I think it is a function of the velocity of the plate, the reaction force and the coefficient of friction but i'm not sure.

I know that the Friction force, F=coefficient of friction x Reaction force.

I'm not sure how to change this into a temperature rise or even a heat rise.

Thanks guys
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

The quickest way would be to take the motor power required to move the discs under load and assume that all of that power goes into your heat rise since power is energy per unit time. Of course, not all of that power will go into the temperature rise between the plates. Some of it will go into deflections of the plates and shafts, noise and heat in other areas. It should be a pretty good estimate of what your best condition would be (if you are interested in getting all of the heat possible).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?