Calculating Heat Generated in a Coil due to Changing Current and Resistance

In summary: Yes, we're working on that. Nearly done (see post #16). Or completely -- I don't know what I can deduce from post #20.It was more the duo ##i_0## and a , of which I picked a to eliminate. But you are referring to post #8; we are at over 20 now ...Yes, I think we're done. I just wanted to get the answer in terms of the given variables. Thanks for the help!Yes, I think we're done. I just wanted to get the answer in terms of the given variables. Thanks for the help!In summary, the amount of heat generated in a coil of resistance R due to a charge q passing through it, with the
AdityaDev

Homework Statement

What amount of heat will be generated in a coil of resistance R due to a charge q passing through it if the current in the coil decreases down to zero uniformly during a time interval ##\Delta t##

Homework Equations

##dH=i^2Rdt##
##i=\frac{dq}{dt}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##dH=i^2Rdt##
##dH={\frac{dq}{dt}}^2Rdt##
##dH=\frac{{dq}^2R}{dt}##
How do I solve this multi variable differential equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
AdityaDev said:

Homework Statement

What amount of heat will be generated in a coil of resistance R due to a charge q passing through it if the current in the coil decreases down to zero uniformly during a time interval ##\Delta t##

Homework Equations

##dH=i^2Rdt##
##i=\frac{dq}{dt}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##dH=i^2Rdt##
##dH={\frac{dq}{dt}}^2Rdt##
##dH=\frac{{dq}^2R}{dt}##
How do I solve this multi variable differential equation?
Your are told the current decreases uniformly with time. Write that as an equation.

haruspex said:
Your are told the current decreases uniformly with time. Write that as an equation.
##i=-at##
##di=-adt##
##dH=iR^2dt##
##dH=-aR^2tdt##
##H=-aR^2\frac{t^2}{2}##

I see an unknown a appearing, whereas the known (given) q has disappeared.
And the math leaves to be desired:
  • ##i = -at## can't be right (try ## t=0## and ## t = \Delta t##)
  • Any reason for ##i^2R## changing into ##iR^2## ?
With ##t## in the answer I suppose you mean ##\Delta t## ?
Any chance to present the answer in terms of the givens ?

Likes Amrendra sigh
BvU said:
  • Any reason for ##i^2R## changing into ##iR^2## ?
Big typing mistake sorry
##di/dt = -a##
This shows that i decreases with time, just like dN/dt=-N for nuclear decay.
Hence you will again get I=-at.

AdityaDev said:
Big typing mistake sorry
##di/dt = -a##
This shows that i decreases with time, just like dN/dt=-N for nuclear decay.
Hence you will again get I=-at.
You're forgetting the constant of integration. The current starts positive and finishes at zero. And you need to relate a to q.
And it is not like nuclear decay which follows a negative exponential with time, not linear.

haruspex said:
You're forgetting the constant of integration. The current starts positive and finishes at zero. And you need to relate a to q.
And it is not like nuclear decay which follows a negative exponential with time, not linear.
##i = i_0 - at##
##dH= (i_0 - at)^2Rdt##
##H=i_0^2Rt - aRt^2/2##

Still this annoying a ...

And a strange result for the integral...

BvU said:
##i=i_0-bt##
Please help me solve this

You can't exclude a because the equation will become dimensionally incorrect

BvU said:
  • ##i = -at## can't be right (try ## t=0## and ## t = \Delta t##)
Now it fits for t=0. Next: make it fit for ## t = \Delta t##.
And (to keep in the back of your mind): ##q = \int_0^{\Delta t}\; i \;dt ## to eliminate ##I_0##

[edit] from zero to Delta t

BvU said:
Now it fits for t=0. Next: make it fit for ## t = \Delta t##.
##i=\frac{q}{\Delta t} - at##

No that doesn't seem right.

##i=i_0 - \frac{i_0t}{\Delta t}##

##i=i_0-at## not good ? try ##i=i_0-bt## or ##i=i_0-ct## :)

Reminded me of this joke where you see Einstein in front of a blackboard with ## E=ma^2 ## and ## E=mb^2 ## stricken through, and then ## E=mc^2 ## ! (with an exclamation mark). Sorry.

What I am pushing towards: ##i=i_0-at## is correct, but not good enough. t = 0 works fine, now fill in ##\Delta t## when you know ##i(\Delta t) = 0 ## you get a.
Bit now you have ##i_0## as unknown. However, ... (see post #11)

[edit] crossed post #14. Bingo !

BvU said:
What I am pushing towards: ##i=i_0-at## is correct, but not good enough. t = 0 works fine, now fill in ##\Delta t## when you know ##i(\Delta t) = 0 ## you get a.
Bit now you have ##i_0## as unknown. However, ... (see post #11)
Ok...here comes my updated equation
##i=\frac{q}{\Delta t} - \frac{q}{(\Delta t)^2}t##

Almost :)

Is it correct?
Now can I use i2Rt?

Almost means: not there yet: $$q \; {?\atop =}\ \int_0^{\Delta t}\; i \;dt = {q\over \Delta t} \int_0^{\Delta t} \;(1-{t\over \Delta t}) \; dt = {q} \int_0^{\Delta t} \;(1-{t\over \Delta t}) \; d({t\over \Delta t}) = q\int_0^1 (1-u) du = {q\over 2}$$so there is a 2 missing. Obvious if you sketch i(t), a triangle.

At t=0,you get ##q=i\Delta t##.
Here you get Q=q/2
What is the difference between the two 'q's?
(I got the answer after using post 19. Thank you very much)

No, at t=0 you get ##i = i_0 = {2q\Delta t}##

Q = q/2 ? There should come q = q !

And the picture refuses to be uploaded, sorry. Can't copy and paste a picture either. Must be some issue thanks to the security mafia.
1000 words:

a triangle from (0, ##I_0##) to (##\Delta t##, 0).

Area ##{1\over 2} I_0\Delta t \equiv q \Rightarrow I_0 = ...##

BvU said:

And a strange result for the integral...
I don't know why you had this objection to introducing a. It should then have been a simple matter to find a in terms of q and ##\Delta t## by integrating.

haruspex said:
I don't know why you had this objection to introducing a. It should then have been a simple matter to find a in terms of q and ##\Delta t## by integrating.
Yes, we're working on that. Nearly done (see post #16). Or completely -- I don't know what I can deduce from post #20.

It was more the duo ##i_0## and a , of which I picked a to eliminate. But you are referring to post #8; we are at over 20 now ...

Likes AdityaDev

What is heat generated in coil?

Heat generated in coil is the thermal energy produced when an electric current flows through a conductive wire or coil. This heating effect is a result of the resistance of the wire, which causes it to dissipate energy in the form of heat.

How is heat generated in coil measured?

The heat generated in coil can be measured using a device called a calorimeter, which measures the change in temperature of the wire as a result of the electric current passing through it. The unit of measurement for heat generated in coil is typically in watts (W).

What factors affect the amount of heat generated in coil?

The amount of heat generated in coil is affected by several factors, including the resistance of the wire, the amount of current flowing through the wire, the length and thickness of the wire, and the material of the wire. Other factors such as ambient temperature and air flow can also play a role.

What are some practical applications of heat generated in coil?

Heat generated in coil has various practical applications, such as in heating elements for appliances like stoves and toasters, as well as in electric heaters and ovens. It is also used in electric motors and generators, and in the production of light in incandescent light bulbs.

How can heat generated in coil be controlled?

The amount of heat generated in coil can be controlled by adjusting the voltage and current flowing through the wire, as well as by using materials with different resistances. Additionally, cooling systems and insulation can also help to regulate and manage the heat generated in coil.