Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat generation

1. Nov 26, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I am testing or trying to figure out how much heat would be generated for a piston that moves up and down and has two semi-circle wedges that press against to slow down its motion.
    I want know what factors and equations I can use to calculate the heat generation?
    All other related topics seem to be about rotating disc.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2008 #2

uart

Science Advisor

You haven't really given enough information to give much of a reply, but the heat generated by friction is equal to the Force times the Distance moved.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  4. Nov 28, 2008 #3
    The piston is only moving along one plane....ie vertically. The clamps are situated around the middle and squeeze against the piston as it moves up and down acting as a damper. Does that help?

5. Nov 29, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Not really, but as said, if you have a force and a distance, you can calculate it.

6. Dec 1, 2008 #5

minger

Science Advisor

Well, you'll need more than just a force and distance I think. I believe that you'll need the normal force acting on the piston from the "clamps". Even from there, you'll need a friction coefficient.

Google frictional heat generation, it should help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?