1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat generation

1. Nov 26, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I am testing or trying to figure out how much heat would be generated for a piston that moves up and down and has two semi-circle wedges that press against to slow down its motion.
    I want know what factors and equations I can use to calculate the heat generation?
    All other related topics seem to be about rotating disc.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2008 #2

uart

Science Advisor

You haven't really given enough information to give much of a reply, but the heat generated by friction is equal to the Force times the Distance moved.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  4. Nov 28, 2008 #3
    The piston is only moving along one plane....ie vertically. The clamps are situated around the middle and squeeze against the piston as it moves up and down acting as a damper. Does that help?

5. Nov 29, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Not really, but as said, if you have a force and a distance, you can calculate it.

6. Dec 1, 2008 #5

minger

Science Advisor

Well, you'll need more than just a force and distance I think. I believe that you'll need the normal force acting on the piston from the "clamps". Even from there, you'll need a friction coefficient.

Google frictional heat generation, it should help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook