Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat in atmosphere

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1
    Heat is more in ground than in mountains.
    Why? Mountains are nearer to sun,then what happens?
    Thanks!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you have a source for that statement? If so, perhaps the source explains it.

4. Oct 22, 2013 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Mountains are more exposed to the elements and have lots of surface area per volume, making heat loss (through surface) faster and heat storage (through volume) smaller.

5. Oct 22, 2013 #4
  6. Oct 23, 2013 #5
    Thank you Khashishi. So the answer is "pressure" and that "in high altidutes is harder to be kept the energy."
    I ask you because I am bad in english,so I want to know If I undestood everything.
    Thanks!!!!

7. Oct 23, 2013 #6
    To be clear, just being at higher pressure doesn't necessarily require the temperature to be higher. But imagine that there are circulating air currents up and down the atmosphere. When an air mass rises, it will expand due to the smaller pressure up there and will lose energy (not as heat, but as work). That's called expansional cooling. The opposite happens on the way down when the air mass gets compressed under the higher pressure increasing in temperature as it gains energy (again, as work - not heat). That's called compressional warming. Note that the presence of circulating air currents is important for that argument to make sense. The lowest layer of the atmosphere where we live - the troposphere - has those circulating currents (we call them convection) and has its temperature drop steadily with altitude (most of the time). But the layer above the troposphere - the stratosphere - does not. Turns out temperature in the Stratosphere actually increases with altitude.

8. Oct 23, 2013 #7
    The answer provided by Paul Shepson in your link is correct but the one provided by Michael Tinnesand isn't.

here is the quote

That answers is NOT correct.

9. Oct 23, 2013 #8
    That answer is not correct

10. Oct 23, 2013 #9
    One more thing. You mentioned the fact that the mountain is closer to the sun. This effect is completely negligible. The height of a tall mountain is about 10 km. The distance to the sun is about 150 000 000 km

11. Oct 23, 2013 #10
    Why different things happens in stratosphere?

12. Oct 23, 2013 #11
    The Troposphere is heated from below. That promotes convection. The Stratosphere is heated from above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook